Greek supporters disrupting the 200m final

O

OhPinchy

Didn't get to see the 200m final last night but read about the jeering and chanting 'Kenteris' in the paper today.

What the hell was that about? Chanting the name of a disgraced drug cheat?? Let's be honest, anyone that has an inkling on athletics and drugs in sport has known for years that this guy was dirty - coming out of nowhere to win in Syndey and then basically going back into hiding and avoiding competitions so that he would avoid tests...and then even avoiding testers by leading them on wild goose chases. And yes, failing to give a sample or tampering with the sample does mean you are a drug cheat.

I don't get it how the Greek supporters could chant the name of this disgraced former hero as if in protest that he was not allowed compete. And the media had done such a good job of persuading us that the Greek public had gracefully accepted that he was a cheat.

For them to chant his name like that would be the equivalent of Irish fans packing out the National Aquatic Centre and booing the absence of our own disgraced drug cheat. To do this would be highly disrepectful to the other competitors who have earned the right to be there without cheating. Unfortunately I feel that the Greek supporters were quite disrepectful last night, and in doing so they let themselves and their countrymen down.

> What the hell was that about? Chanting the name of a disgraced drug cheat??

Just to be pedantic, allegedly dodging drug testers is not the same as actually testing positive. So the term "drug cheat" is arguably misplaced here and possibly libellous. At least for now.

mmm, that is being quite pedantic. The authorities look at a missed test as being the same as a failed test and so impose a minimum two year ban. Its unlikely that a court would find this libellous as there is clearly a perception amongst the public that someone who has been suspended for missing/tampering with a drugs test is a drugs cheat.

There is such a thing as due process you know. Better to wait until the relevant authorities complete their investigations and come to some conclusions before casting aspersions in my view.

Disgrace

That is an outrageous posting by OhPinchy. Kenteris failed to turn up for a test because of a motor bike accident.

As things progressed K had no choice but to withdraw.

And what about this not finding the bike - don't you smell a rat? The idea that K stage managed this is quite preposterous - would a hospital have put him up if it was a fake?

Yes it stinks - but who gained? Think about it. US 1,2,3. The CIA organised that accident to perfection - not enough to seriously hurt them and then remove the bike to cast suspicion.

The US are being given a run for their money in Gold medals for the first time ever - not great in election year. Make no mistake this is a Bush dirty trick.

Aristotle- please inform yourself properly before making statements like "That is an outrageous posting". It was revealed that Kenteris missed a whopping 3, yes 3, tests BEFORE even getting to the Olympics. At one stage he had his training address listed as a place in the USA but when the testers went to test him he was actually in Europe. And yes the onus is on the athlete to make sure they give the correct address to the authorities, as situations like this are commonly understood to be attempts to avoid testing positive. Michelle Smith was also notorious for leading testers astray.

There is very little doubt that Kenteris will at least be suspended on grounds of these missed tests. Personally, I feel that he will be given an extended ban for bringing the sport into disrepute, due to what I believe was a dramatic and farcical attempt to stage a motorbike crash to somehow distract from the missed test.

home boy

Just for the record, the people protesting at the 200m final were Kenteris supporters from his home island.

Before the test/accident business Kenteris was a national hero in Greece. Think Roy Keane and the division Saipan caused among people in Ireland.

Re: home boy

Booing by a crowd of sports fans is never entirely logical.
And it's definitely not limited to the Greeks.

Think of the twats at Landsdowne Road who boo Rangers players, and even ex-Rangers players.

-Rd

Re: home boy

Has everyone forgotten the kneejerk instincts of so many Irish people to defend Michelle Smith De Bruin, and to persist in doing so in the face of ever-mounting evidence against her, only a few years ago?

outrageous posting

Yes it stinks - but who gained? Think about it. US 1,2,3. The CIA organised that accident to perfection - not enough to seriously hurt them and then remove the bike to cast suspicion.
you're taking the piss here Aristotle aren't you? That's just nuts! I don't like to insult other posters but if that's what you really think you need to be taken away in the happy wagon.

Thoughts from the happy wagon

Purple, most observers now accept the CIA involvement in this incident.

I mean really, how do you fake a motor cycle accident and have sufficient injuries to warrant being retained a couple of nights in hospital.

And why vanish the motor cycle. Very easy to get a motor cycle, bash it about and leave it in a ditch.

Whatever way you look at it there was a conspiracy by someone.

A conspirancy that involves the Greek medical services and leaves such obvious gaps as a missing motor cycle is just too much to believe.

A conspiracy involving the CIA - well that's par for the course.

And I ask again, who benefitted most from this incident? The yanks, of course.

the magic bike

Maybe an opportunistic thief who was passing bye took it?

Back