Great house. Still not sold after 7 weeks !

Rois,

There is already a superdump near Lusk (at the Estuary). You should not notice it when living in Lusk.

The new planned superdump is nowhere near Lusk. If you are heading north on the M1 it is about 4-5 miles further north on the LHS... about 6 miles from Lusk as the crow flies I would guess.

If stamp duty changes in the budget was such a big deal, wouldn't you think a potential purchaser would have mentioned it? If only to put down a deposit. The stamp duty thing is a red herring, there will be a glut of properties available come January.

Hi Gormleyp

My own experience over the past few months is that the market has definetely slowed particularily outside the M50, and people are justifiabily cautious. I would'nt panic however as is seems that something will be done for FTB's in the budget and if this happens it will probably give a fresh impetus to the market. So I would suggest that you hold out until then.

I would'nt panic however as is seems that something will be done for FTB's in the budget and if this happens it will probably give a fresh impetus to the market. So I would suggest that you hold out until then.

And if there is nothing done what would you suggest then?

For someone "on the brink of despair" you still appear pretty bullish. Time obviously isn't that big of a factor for you, what are you despairing over?

It actually is a big factor for me. I have a house in mind in northern ireland and I need to put the money down on it as soon as possible. My use of the word 'despair' was probably a little bit for dramatic effect and maybe I might appear a little laid back, but I am in a hurry to get some money together, believe me.
If I remortgage this house in Dublin to pay for the house in the north, am I liable to pay capital gains on my house in Dublin ?

If I remortgage this house in Dublin to pay for the house in the north, am I liable to pay capital gains on my house in Dublin ?
You're allowed one year grace to sell house even if you let it out so if you sell by next december you'll be not liable for CGT.

It actually is a big factor for me. I have a house in mind in northern ireland and I need to put the money down on it as soon as possible. My use of the word 'despair' was probably a little bit for dramatic effect and maybe I might appear a little laid back, but I am in a hurry to get some money together, believe me.

You probably will need to be more pro-active as your EA will probably not have experienced a market before where he will actually need to go and sell your house rather than wait for buyers to start bidding on first viewing.

You should think seriously about lowering your price sufficiently enough to gain attention in the market and you may then get a couple of interested parties to put down some offers.

I am on the brink of despair.
I am selling a great house in Lusk, one of the best 4 bed houses in north Dublin (I'm not joking) and it has not yet sold. We have had 12 viewings at this stage, 4 of which have registered their interest. However, they haven't yet put down a firm offer.
People have been consoling me in reminding me that buyers are waiting on the outcome of the budget as well as the fact that winter is a bad time to sell, blah blah blah.
What is the story folks? Will it sell in January or what?
Appreciate your thoughts?

What exactly is the price of a great 4 bedroom house in Lusk nowadays ?

Well my friend, I am selling because I want to move back home (north of ireland).
Nothing to do with the area I'm living in. If I wanted to stay in Dublin I would be happy to continue living in this house.
The price was put on the house by the Estate Agent who said it should actually fetch more ! - its underpriced if anything.
If there is no activity in the immediate aftermath of the budget, I may reluctantly lower the price.

I would be concerned that you are not being realistic about your house. Do you still think its underpriced and you think its the best house in the area. You here for advice. Do not listen to your Agent - they are already wrong about your house price. Drop your price significantly - 2/3% will not be enough. Get your agent to mail shot all interested buyers ASAP. Sitpulate you want to complete before Christmas. With a good lawyer and a willing cash buyer you could get it done. You are going to have to take a hit - if you cannot complete quickly be prepared to accept a hard landing.

What exactly is the price of a great 4 bedroom house in Lusk nowadays ?

I'd say about 450-550, depend on the usuals (condition, location, etc).

re the Superdump, as already posted its no-where near lusk village (A lot closer to other villages fact). Lusk itself is a very big townsland.

The existing dump is miles from Lusk village, viewable only from the train, and is actually next to Portrane (only about 100m across the estuary mouth).

Remember Vega City? that was lusk. And this new 1.5bn airport runway that was press released a few weeks back? Thats lusk too.

will trydig out a Fingal map, I know I saw one on thier site before. Apologies if this is slightly off topic.

I'd say about 450-550, depend on the usuals (condition, location, etc).

re the Superdump, as already posted its no-where near lusk village (A lot closer to other villages fact). Lusk itself is a very big townsland.

The existing dump is miles from Lusk village, viewable only from the train, and is actually next to Portrane (only about 100m across the estuary mouth).

Remember Vega City? that was lusk. And this new 1.5bn airport runway that was press released a few weeks back? Thats lusk too.

will trydig out a Fingal map, I know I saw one on thier site before. Apologies if this is slightly off topic.

Assuming we are talking about semi detached houses, then 450-500 seems way over the top to me, for the location. Price should be below 400 IMHO,in the current climate.
The new runway is not in Lusk or even the townland. It is at Dublin Airport which is approx 8 miles away, on the far side of Swords.

This isn't the new runway. There's a suggestion that a consortium are buying up land in the area for a new airport.

This isn't the new runway. There's a suggestion that a consortium are buying up land in the area for a new airport.

So it's possible that they're going to add noise polution to the other types of polution that are already in the area? No wonder there's not many takers for the OPs property.

What's the source of this secret information?
It's not that difficult if you think about if:

1) There will be a general election next year.
2) FTB's only account for a small percetage of the stamp duty take, but a much higher percentage of the electorate, and to reduce or abolish it below certain levels will not make too big a dent in the state coffers.
3) The PD's have made it an election issue.
4) The IAVI have lobbied for changes, and they are would have a reasonable level of clout.

We sold a spacious detached house a few months ago....over 15 /20 viewings ,few offers ..but steadily climbed up to much much more than we expected! ...it took 3 months and 3 offers altogether! Be patient ,i think houses at the higher end of price bracket take that bit longer .

Assuming we are talking about semi detached houses, then 450-500 seems way over the top to me, for the location. Price should be below 400 IMHO,in the current climate.
The new runway is not in Lusk or even the townland. It is at Dublin Airport which is approx 8 miles away, on the far side of Swords.

not sure what you know about hses in lusk/rush area, but the 4-bed semis are certainly in that bracket, and in fact the upper end of it. Perhaps the 4beds SHOULD be under 400k, but they are definitely not; and I know of one large 4 bed in Dun Emer that sold off plans for over 500, over a year ago.

re the runway, I'm not sure we're referring to the same thing, They are building a terminal at DA, not a runway. The one we're referring to is a few miles north of swords, and the landing route will be over the estuary (between protrane and rush/lusk). Honestly, I'd say its just another Vega City-esque proposal, in that the council wil shoot it down; but the initial soundings are good; and they have all the right people in place. Will take years to approve.

According to the latest Daft report, the average time to sale on houses in North County Dublin in Q3 was 59 days. So you've a bit of a way to go yet before you've been waiting even an average amount of time

http://www.daft.ie/report/DaftReport-Q32006.pdf

most countries think nothing of it talking 6 months on average to sell a house; we start to worry if it doesn't sell by the end of the week! That was true in recent years, but not any more I'm afraid.

Back