Gravel Driveway

rustbucket

Just got 1st quote today to redo my driveway.planning on getting 3 or 4 more quotes. Just wanted opinions on price?

Driveway details
70 Sq Metres- half concrete, half grass.

Job Quote

• Removal of exisiting driveway (concrete and lawn)
  • Removal of hedges
  • Supply and fitting of Membrane, hardcore and Gravel Dust.
  • Supply and fitting of Gravel Wall to wall.
  • Relocation of 1 gate post to enlarge driveway entrance.
  • 4 layers wide block edging at gate posts to prevent gravel going onto road.
  • Replacing of steps to front door with granite bevelled slabs.
Quoted €2000 plus VAT. Completed in 2-3 days.

Have no idea what something like this might cost or should cost so just wondering if above is reasonable.

As above, will be getting a number of quotes to compare.

Cheers

Last edited:
This for this work seems resonable if not cheap i would check refernces for this contracter, insurance and other details as he will de taking down a pillar and part of a wall and taking up the drive which may have water pipes and other pipes under the ground, but provided this all checks out that would be a fairly good price, but you get what you pay for so be extra vigilant, if the work starts to slow or get sloppy state you want it done properly as there are manycowboys out there, what area is it based if you dont mind measking, best of luck

Based in South County Dublin. I have a fair bit of info on the guy and seen some testimonials. He's done a fair bit of work on other houses in the area so migh pop in to someone and ask what they thought.

Il definitely check out the insurance. something I hadnt thought of

sounds more than fair,if you can check with your neighbours who got him before then,your laughing...

Yeah it sounds good to go for this you are in a good competitive area which is good for you in this case once the insurance is good, is there any workto be done on the path outside your garden like the path outside dished to the size of your gate opening, if so that is a job for your local authority i.e county council as that is a tricky area

Yeah it sounds good to go for this you are in a good competitive area which is good for you in this case once the insurance is good, is there any workto be done on the path outside your garden like the path outside dished to the size of your gate opening, if so that is a job for your local authority i.e county council as that is a tricky area

No, no extra work. Path is already dished for our driveway and our neighbours (double length) as its terraced. Even enough room after moving our gate post.

Got another two quotes today. All come in and around 2-2.5K including VAT.

To be honest, was very happy with two of the guys I spoke to. Both seem reasonable, gave decent quotes, gave suggestions and seemed genuine enough. Got a good feeling from both of them. The other, not a great feeling off him.

The two guys I was happy with have both done work locally. Will check out some of their work and their insurance etc.

good to hear as is said you will get what you pay for if you are happy to pay that litte extra you will more than probably be delighted with the work, let us know how you get on with the job, best regards.

We have a gravel driveway and I wouldn't change it for anything. Best thing we ever did. We can even cover our existing shores with a layer of gravel but still have access. Take this in to consideration when laying out your paln. Also allow for the fact that the drains that lead from your gutter runoffs might need to be "cut" and re shaped with cement surround to stop small stones from falling in and blocking them.

Well, just to put in a concrete drive [I know - its apples and oranges!] over five years ago, around 2.5M x 8.0M approx cost me €1,000 for hiring, equipment and materials, doing all the preliminary work myself . That excludes the final placement of concrete and final boad and trowel edge finish. Paid one of the guys who delivered the concrete a few quid out of the €1,000 to help me do that - two hours work. That includes the excavation, skips, hardcore, whacker, plastic, concrete, delivery, buying/hiring and delivery of equipment myself, everything.

Did it part time over two weeks one summer. Would have been easier if the ground had been a little less hard. I think your quotations sound pretty keen. Apart from what I paid yer man, there was no wages in that €1,000, which IIRC excluded V.A.T.

ONQ.

Got this done eventually. Guys finished today. Did an absolutely brilliant job. Was actually home for most of the 2 days it took to do it and have to say they barely took a break.

Excavation, Levelling, Membrane, Hardcore, Thumping, Dust, Gravel, all Granite Trim, 2 new granite steps up to house and moving gateposts.

They cleaned up and left the place absolutely spotless.

Very pleased. Would thoroughly recommedn and a great price too.

Great to hear it worked out well, I am looking at getting something very similar done and would love to get in touch with these guys, any chance you could pass on their details? Living also in south Dublin!

I used A1 Paving. A guy called Pat runs it. Decent bloke. website is

Email and phone number are on the webpage

Rustbucket, I came across your post a couple of months ago and have just gotten a gravel driveway done by A1 Paving based on your good experiences. Just wanted to say thanks for your feedback on this as I was really happy with the job and the price. Pat as you say is a very decent guy and will be recommending to family and friends going forward.

Glad to hear someone else also had a good experience. Its been a good 5 months since got the work done and still really happy with it

Back