Grass strimmers.

Haille

Looking for recommendations on Stihl grass strimmerFS56R v Honda make of similiar power.

Jumping on here !

I have a large enough site and currently use a ride on, i also have a petrol strimmer to get at the areas that are not accessable with the ride on. The problem is that the petrol strimmer is fine for clearing say open rough spots but trying to trim grass around shrubs is like playing Russian roulette, have lost a few shrubs !

Would i be better off getting a small electric strimmer or indeed a small push mower ? All sugestions are welcome.

Yours

Secman

I have the same problem with my petrol strimmer. If I use it around shrubs, or where grass is growing close to a wall or railings etc., I wind up having to replace the cord every couple of minutes which is a pain.

I have heard that you can get strimmers with a guard which fully covers the cord, which sounds like it would solve the problem, but I haven't seen any of them.

Why not use membrain or plastic with 15mm stones on top to stop the unwanted grass growing?

Why not use membrain or plastic with 15mm stones on top to stop the unwanted grass growing?

I don't think that is a good idea for trees or shrubs set in, or bordering on to, a lawn. You wouldn't want to take either your lawnmower or strimmer anywhere near them.

strem in as close as you can ,then get the rest with an old fashioned hedge clippers.

Would recommend a guard for your face as well. A flying stone could really damage your eye and seemingly if you strim a snail and it goes into your eye it is not pretty! Ours cost €15.

Also don't get a strimmer that is too heavy as it will kill your arms carrying it around.

your right hurling fan a face guard is a must,i bought a honda 4 stroke strimmer 2 weeks ago,it has the plastic bits for cutting and also got a metal three pronged blade for cutting heavy duty dock leaves and bushes,its got a great harness with it,which goes over both shoulders and around your middle like a life jacket, and the strimmer balances on a hook at the side so you can strem for ages without your arms falling off,i used it yesterday on a overgrown field about half an acre,it was like a hot knife through butter..its worth spending the extra few quid on a good make and model you will have it for years.

Jab1, Would you please let us know what type of strimmer you purchased, how much and where you bought it?
Looking for one at moment!
Thanks
Pudzer

hey pudzer,no problem,i bought a honda,got it in the new honda centre in galway,paid 350 euros for it,sound bloke in there called anthony,its four stroke as well so no mixing oil in with the petrol,honda dont make two stroke,well worth the money im very happy with it.

Back