Granite paving in driveway destroyed by bird poo

MikeDub

Registered User
Messages
17
We've just put done silver grey granite slabs to pave our driveway. It's already badly stained by bird poo. The stains are yellow and purple (apparently due to the berries the birds are eating!). The other problem is black tracks left by the car tyres.
The granite was supposed to have been sealed after it was put down, but there isn't much evidence of that as the stains seem to be well soaked in.

Anyone got any advice on (i) how to remove the existing stubborn bird stains, and (ii) how to prevent these stains from seeping into the granite in future?
 
Can you share any info with me? I have a new granite border in the garden and I noticed one or two stains.

I didn't have a clue what it was or where it came from and now I think I may know!
 
Hello - our stain is more like a dye (yellow / purple) and it's really difficult to shift. I've been able to reduce the intensity of it with washing up liquid and with baking soda (separately), but it's still leaving behind a stain. I'm going to try a product for removing organic residue next, but I'm not very hopeful
 
I'd use a biocide like acti-wash. I've granite window sills and use it every few months and they stay sparkling clean. I also use it on a slate roof and paths around the house and paving outside the office and all surfaces stay superbly clean. Doesn't work immediately - gradually works over days and weeks.
 
Would vinegar work? (reminder to self, silver grey granite is not advisable on driveways)

Another thing I've learnt, you can actually clean tarmacadam, this I did not know ..........

Mike, if you cannot fix the problem, then eventually, if you wait long enough your entire driveway will be a unique yellow/purple and you can ignore it.
 
Realistically you can probably expect to be in the exact same situation every year or so.
Long term: take up the silver grey granite and put down something else.
 
Will still get green with weather and then needs to be power washed which will remove the sealer over a short time.
It shouldn't if done right. Greening is a sign of algae, but that is easily treated with biological washing powder every now and then.

If you must power-wash, use one of the patio cleaner heads and re-seal afterwards.
 
Back
Top