Granite or Limestone hearth??

callaghanj

I have decided on a stone fireplace( Donegal Quartz) for the living room and have bought limestone(dark grey/black)for the hearth which I think was a mistake. I also bought a stanley erin enamelled stove ( majolica brown) and now think that the limestone will not compliment the stove due to the colour and also the finish as is to dull(matt). I dont want to start using a polish to achieve a gloss on it. Would prefer to change to Granite or some other stone lighter in colour. Can anyone offer any advice please??? Thanks.

Have to say imho black polished granite is the most popular as its the easiest kept and easiest to match things to.

I was sorting our hearth lately and was certain I didn't want black granite but the only thing suppliers could suggest was granite or Liscannor stone. We went with Liscannor stone (which was about 1/3 of the price of granite) but TBH we're not thrilled with it. Ideally I wanted a beige matt stone but nobody could suggest anything. If you are looking for granite for the hearth - try O[broken link removed] - 021 488 58 99

i had the same dilema, brown enamel waterford stone going in a sandtone fireplace,,

went for the granite in a similar brown to compliment the staove and the sandstone, looks well

if you want pics just pm me your email adderss

With our sandstone fireplace we have a black polished granite hearth and mantlepiece with a matt black jotul stove and with our limestone fireplace we have a liscannor hearth and limestone mantlepiece with a matt black jotul stove, no problems with either

Hi - i put in a granite hearth last year and recommend you consider the following if a DIY job;
1 - Size of fireplace
2 - Gas or real fire

If you have a real fire then ensure you have the piece in at least 2 pieces on a ral fire to allow for expansion- otherwise run risk of a nice crack! I beleive not a consideration for Gas.

Back