Graham Knuttel art - good investment?

badgambler

Graham Knuttel - Art Investment

Ok, gone off Gold from the 25K in three years thread.

Now my next plan, buying a Graham Knuttel.

Canvas or textile, or even sculpture, one or many

Any informed comment?

Re: Knuttel

Yes - don't buy art as an investment. Buy it if you like it though. Check out previous threads on "investing" in art, antiques, wine, coins, stamps, football programmes etc.

Is this thread a bit of a wind up?

Re: Knuttel

I think he is a brilliant artist. I do not think that just because he is collected by many celebrities and stars, I just love his work. The Picasso of the modern age.

Mod Note: Thread merged with earlier one on the same topic

Anyone here know much about art and if so would they consider a Graham Knuttel a good investment? Saw one selling at 10k and wondered what kind of appreciation could be expected on it, seeing as he is supposed to be THE Irish artist at the mo. Could he be the next Louis Le Broquy (sp) in which case, happy days?

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone here know much about art and if so would they consider a Graham Knuttel a good investment? Saw one selling at 10k and wondered what kind of appreciation could be expected on it, seeing as he is supposed to be THE Irish artist at the mo. Could he be the next Louis Le Broquy (sp) in which case, happy days?

Do you like his work? It's the most important question, since you could be looking at it on your wall for a long time waiting for it to rise in value. (The same goes for any art work.) Personally, his style does nothing for me, but each to his own taste.

I'm no art expert, but I think it's safe to say (and Knuttel would probably be the first to admit) that he is not and never will be in the same league as Le Brocquy.

Knuttel is also extremely prolific and he very likely has many more productive years in him - his works would not have a lot of scarcity value. Finally, €10k would be on the high side for one of his works - though it could be worth it depending on size, subject, etc. Have a look at results from some of the auction houses to try to judge whether the price is reasonable.

[broken link removed]
http://www.whytes.ie/
http://www.deveresart.com/

I'd agree with the view above. I have always thought of him as a glorified illustrator who had a savvy agent and struck lucky. He was lucky to arrive at the same time as the celtic tiger and I think his style happened to strike a chord.

He churns out paintings, as well as having a nephew who produces identical ones. He def isn't in the same league as La Brocquy or Markey even.There are better artists that you could take a punt on.

But as the poster says above, buy something cause you enjoy it. For the price of one Knuttel you could buy a few paintings you like from younger, well thought of artists. And who knows you could stike lucky with one of those, and at least you'd like looking at them!

We have a Knuttel in our Board room.
Have it about 2 years or so now. Dont think it has gone up much in value. It suits its location and is easily recognisable. Think it cost about €8.5 at the time.

Paddy

The art market is almost imossible to predict. I share the negative view of Knuttel's work. But if you check the Askaboutmoney archives from the 1980's we were equally dismissive of the Markey's which we could have got for the price of a feed of pints.

He certainly is prolific, but so was Markey, so was Jack B Yeats and there seems to be lots of Le Brocquys around as well at the moment.

One art dealer told me about a promising artist who never made it because he hadn't produced enough work. That surprised me, but it seems that the art buying public wants to see an artist appearing fairly frequently in galleries or auctions. I suppose that there is a balance between the two.

By the way, while I don't like Knuttel's work, there was an exhibition in the Leinster Gallery recently and it looks great for reasons I don't understand. You can see some of the works at http://www.leinstergallery.com/currentexhibition.html

Brendan

He certainly is prolific, but so was Markey, so was Jack B Yeats and there seems to be lots of Le Brocquys around as well at the moment.

In fairness, Le Brocquy has a 38 year head start on Knuttel!

I've heard ads on the radio in recent days for a "clearance sale" in Kevin Sharkey's gallery. Inspires confidence, doesn't it?

I think Knuttel's stuff lacks any artistic merit whatsoever. Ditto for the nephew. I'm particularly astonished by the nephew's neck.

I've heard ads on the radio in recent days for a "clearance sale" in Kevin Sharkey's gallery. Inspires confidence, doesn't it?
It's not a clearance sale - it's his annual half price sale. So what?
I think Knuttel's stuff lacks any artistic merit whatsoever. Ditto for the nephew. I'm particularly astonished by the nephew's neck.
Beauty/merit is in the eye of the beholder.

Clubman asked:

It's not a clearance sale - it's his annual half price sale. So what?

There is something tacky about it. The pricing of art is very subjective. If I had bought a piece of art by Sharkey last week for €1,000 and I saw it reduced in price to €500, I would be very annoyed.

I think it's different from seeing something reduced in the sales as the amounts are larger and you expect to live with it a lot longer.

Brendan

The expression "clearance sale" was used on the radio ads. Same thing as a half-price sale, in any case.

I agree with Brendan, there is something odd and tacky about it.

The whole idea of art is that it is timeless and should transcend trends, fads or 'seasons'. It's not like clothing where seasonal trends are a norm.

When i'm in a shop again a few weeks later and I see a top I bought on sale at 50%, I might curse bad luck but I understand that they have to clear out stock that will be 'unfashionable' next season. I don't believe that painting functions the same way. If he thought it was a lesser work then he should have priced it correctly at the start. If he truly believes he prices his work correctly, then surely its a case of waiting for the right buyer to come along.

It's taking the p*ss out of people who might have bought similar ones under good faith at full price.

Back