Grade 4 hotel centre Dublin

The O'Callaghan hotels were metioned. You could get the Davenport for less than €100 a night (Saturday 19th Jan). Very good location next to Merrion Square and within walking distance of Grafton Street.

I stayed in the Gibson not too long ago and really liked it. Very contemporary, free wifi, red line Luas outside the door and secure parking. Plus the views were very good.

Yes. OP. I would go with the recommendatiions here, including my own, to move away from 'city centre' locations, unfortunately, my experiences of the Abbey St area mirror those of RonanC. Once again, I do hope that you have a lovely night away.

We visit Dublin and stay in hotels about 3-4 times per year and I would agree with most of what other posters have said - stick to south of the Liffey if possible. If you are prepared to splash out (or hunt down a good deal on the various hotel booking sites) then I would recommend the Fitzwilliam or the Conrad - both very central but in nice locations. Aside from that we usually look between the south city entre and Ballsbridge - many of the hotels already mentioned - O'Callaghan hotels, The School House (can be very pricey!), Herbert Park, Sandymount Hotel, Bewleys Ballsbridge. The D4 hotels (or whatever they are called these days) can be fine too if got at a good price - but too often they are as expensive as the others while not being of the same standard. We always enjoy the walk into the city centre from Ballsbridge but there are plenty of buses along that route too if walking doesnt take your fancy.

Back