Government non-reaction to tsunami

Z

zag

I can't believe that the Government has failed to announce any rememberance event for the victims of the tsunami.

Many people might say that these things happen and we can't go about holding days of rememberance for every disaster that happens around the world, but I think when the number of deaths reaches well into the 6 figure region it warrants some public response.

I know that a day of rememberance isn't going to help the deceased or the survivors in any palpable way, but if one can be organised for 2,000 people who died in New York, surely it can be organised when over 100,000 people are killed in a single event.

I'm sure that there are probably things going on in the background, but checking www.gov.ie and [broken link removed] gives no indication of any such action. Fair dues - press releases from the Minister on the day of the event.

Does anyone know of anything books of condolence in the country ?

z

Zag

On the practical side, a remembrance is not necessary but some Euros would be definitely helpful, especially in view of it's recent strength.

Link to Red Cross

Edited by sueellen to fix link

In relation to donations - if anybody was considering donating €250 or more (once off or cumulatively over a single tax year) to an individual charity then you can also complete and return to the charity a [broken link removed] so that the charity can claim back tax that you have paid (20% or 42%) on the amount thereby topping up the donation. If you are thinking of making such a donation then it might make sense to do so in the new year so that any further donations that you might make during 2005 will also qualify for tax relief payable to the charity.

Our government have donated 2 million euro to the cause so far. Our government has raked in 1 billion euro in tax receipts relating to the bogus accounts.

Celtic football club have donated £20000, the equivalent to less than 300 seats at a match.

The British government have sent ONE relief plane so far.

How much does the war in Iraq cost per day ?

I saw animal farm today, had a line in it "all animals are equal, but some are more equal than others"

Bush

Anyone see how Bush is manipulating this terrible situation?
Set up (with Australia, India and Japan) a group led by the US to administer aid. This is a direct attempt to undermine the UN yet again, the thing to do would be to coordinate through the UN. This comes only a few weeks after he put some gobs***e republican on international TV to say "The question is not whether Mr Annan should resign, the question is should Mr Annan be in jail" because the US reckon he misadministered funds during the oil for food program in Iraq (no evidence provided).
Also he must care about the tsunami victims if he is sending his own brother (Jeb) over...musnt he? Great PR.
Bas***d.

Competitiveness and Politicisation

I don't like the Irish mentality of proclaiming how great we are in responding to natural disasters and calls for charitable donations. It seems not to stem from a genuine sense of meeting the needs of those affected but rather much of it seems to stem from a "how great we are" or a "how much better we are than UK or USA" mentality

Dontate for the right reasons and donate as much as you can, but don't use you donations to politicise the situation.

BTW, the US government has pledged $ (or €)350m and the irish gov't has upped its donation to €10m.

Re: Competitiveness and Politicisation

At whom is your criticism directed out of interest? I see no harm in people pointing out the possibility that people could make donations. Others are free to do this or not as they see fit.

Re: Obscene

Clubman, I thought ABittooFar was spot on, if anything s/he didn't go far enough.

It is stomach churning to see how this is being used to yet again indulge the puerile anti Americanism that is rife in AAM.

What has 9/11 got to do with this? What has the Iraq war got to do with this? What has George Bush and his brother Jeb got to do with this?

Zag, you are a big wig in AAM, I implore you to close this thread (which you started) but which has been twisted by sick minds who care nothing for the people of Asia but who have an obsessive anti Americanism churning their insides.

If the criticism is directed at Roytheboyo's non sequiturs then I would totally agree but if that is the case then it wasn't clear to me and aBitTooFar could just as easily been criticising me or Polyanna for example for suggesting that some people might like to make charitable donations.

One has to admit though that the US will regard this as an opportunity to build relationships with the anti-american sentiment that is rife in Indonesia ...so the US has alot to gain here on that front.

ninsaga

"What has the Iraq war got to do with this? What has George Bush and his brother Jeb got to do with this?"

Everything in my opinion. The war on Iraq was justified by Bush/Blair & Co. on humanitarian grounds.

The next few days/weeks are critical in relation to immediate aid for the prevention of starvation and disease.

If the US and Ireland have already upped their offers, then it is more than likely on the basis of public disgust at their initial tokens, indicated by the media and forums such as AAM.

It is totally unfair to accuse the contributors here of using it as a stick to beat the US with. It is our money which governments fund disater relief and wars with. We have a say.

Re: Totally unfair?

There seems to be a begrudging acceptance that America is pulling its weight in respect of the relief effort. But the Usaphobes variously explain this away as follows:

a) Cynical PR stunt - really?, with 4 years to go to an election GWB can't even contest.

b) Currying favour with Indonesia's Muslims - Ninsaga, is this a good thing or a bad thing?

c) Pressure from AAM - I wonder what GWB's AAM pseudonymn is, piggy perhaps.

BTW I reckon the Governor of Florida knows a lot more about how to handle these situations than any of the contributors to AAM.

After that last post, maybe it is worthwhile closing the thread...............

It has to have been the most childish, unbased one, that I have so far seen on AAM.

My criticism was aimed at those who even in the aftermath of the US increasing their pledge of aid still criticise their motives or volume of financial aid (which to the best of my knowledge has no strings attached). They should instead welcome the increase.

Anyone wanting to discuss why they believe the US is evil incarnate please do so in another thread.

Since this discussion seems to be going nowhere and a few people have suggested closing it I am doing just that right now.

Back