Government considering standardising tax relief on pension contributions

Minnow2

I read in the Indo this week that the government is considering standardising the tax relief on pension contributions to 30%, regardless of your marginal rate of tax.

While this will help encourage lower paid workers to contribute to their pension, surely it will reduce the contributions from workers on the top rate of tax.

Isn't this a retrograde step by the government? What is the logic behind it?

Sorry: cannot post link.

The thread title is a bit misleading - there is no actual Government proposal to standardise tax relief on pension contributions, it simply hasn't been ruled out as a possibility in the future.

FWIW, I think it would be a crazy move and I really can't see it happening any time soon.

Interesting. What if it did go to 30%, would it still be beneficial to contribute if you pay tax at the marginal rate? What about for AVCs?

It would be a crazy move. The requirement for those on lower salaries to fund for private pensions is much less as the OAP makes up a large proportion of their salary. They will also have lower disposable income so the incentive will have a limited effect simply because the spare cash isn't there.

For those on the higher rate, it will drive down those saving into pensions when we know there is a pension crisis in this country. Are they going to bring in auto enrollment and make it more expensive to contribute at the same time?

Finally, it will hit civil servants hard as they are in mandatory pensions as well as the pension related deduction. I can see those who help form policy pushing back on this one...

Steven
www.bluewaterfp.ie

I think The Sunday Times had some more detail.

The example option the government used was something along the lines of you'd put in 6% the government would put in 2%, equivalent to a 33% tax break.
Considering how easy it was to reduce the relief by excluding relief on PRSI and USC, I'd not bet against future reductions.
As for government employees, they could be insulated from the impact of the change by reducing their contribution level/PRD.

I think this study has been quoted in recent news articles on why tax relief should be reduced.
http://www.pensionscouncil.ie/en/Me...-in-Ireland-Shane-Whelan-and-Maeve-Hally-.pdf

They've made the discovery that most pensioners won't have enough annual income from a pension to remain in the tax net at retirement. (An obvious point made repeatedly on this website.)

The "solution" is to reduce tax relief, making it even harder to save enough to get a pension large enough to be taxable.

I think The Sunday Times had some more detail.

The example option the government used was something along the lines of you'd put in 6% the government would put in 2%, equivalent to a 33% tax break.
Considering how easy it was to reduce the relief by excluding relief on PRSI and USC, I'd not bet against future reductions.
As for government employees, they could be insulated from the impact of the change by reducing their contribution level/PRD.

I think this study has been quoted in recent news articles on why tax relief should be reduced.
http://www.pensionscouncil.ie/en/Me...-in-Ireland-Shane-Whelan-and-Maeve-Hally-.pdf

They've made the discovery that most pensioners won't have enough annual income from a pension to remain in the tax net at retirement. (An obvious point made repeatedly on this website.)

The "solution" is to reduce tax relief, making it even harder to save enough to get a pension large enough to be taxable.
The figures in that study are very stark. They make a very good case to move to standardisation based on this. I never really understood why the State subsidised pension savings beyond a safety net requirement. There is nothing to stop people saving for their retirement without tax subsidies - the so called Third Pillar.

The tax take from pensions should be offset against the tax cost of the relief whenever the latter figure is quoted.

The tax take from pensions should be offset against the tax cost of the relief whenever the latter figure is quoted.
Hi Gordon

Could you elaborate on that point? I'm not sure I understand what you mean by the tax take from pensions.

Thanks.

Hi Gordon

Could you elaborate on that point? I'm not sure I understand what you mean by the tax take from pensions.

Thanks.

No problem.

It’s often said that tax relief on pension contributions represents a tax cost or tax subsidy of €Xbn per year.

In my view, the tax paid on pensions and ARFs in the drawdown phase and inheritance tax on ARFs should be netted off against that figure to provide a truer picture.

Gordon

This proposal is similar to the SSIA concept. The SSIA style tax incentive worked back then, but particularly because the investment term was short. People could see payback in the near future.
Pensions are a long term investment, often up to 40 years into the future. Most people accept the principle of such long term saving but life (mortgages, holidays, cars, tv’s, children etc etc) gets in the way. So, short term need versus long term ideal.
In the end, some form of compulsion (auto- enrollment) is required to get people saving. Focusing on standardizing the tax relief may well discourage middle to higher earners from maximizing contributions but will unlikely do anything to encourage lower earners to contribute.

[QUOTE="
In the end, some form of compulsion (auto- enrollment) is required to get people saving. Focusing on standardizing the tax relief may well discourage middle to higher earners from maximizing contributions but will unlikely do anything to encourage lower earners to contribute.[/QUOTE]

I suspect you already have your mind made up and are against standardizing the tax relief which is a pity .I have seen Irish pension advisers going all the way back to the eighties pushing pensions using the high tax break and picking the currents out of the cake rather than giving good advice to people on the average industrial wage on saving for a pension it may have being a bit harder work than picking the low hanging fruit ,

I suspect If the government had standardizing pension tax break at 30% in the beginning pension advisers would be saying how good value it is for middle and higher earners to save through a pension fund,

The reason I hold the above view is back in the eighties I seen a company which did a lot of business manufacturing original parts for the German Machine Manufactures get in an German company to look at how best to provide a pension for there direct paid Employees who were on average Industrial wages they pointed out that the Irish Tax breaks at 20% was very good value,

I know lots of people on the average Industrial wage who took there advice back then who are now retired and paid extra avc at 20% and are glad the did not listening to negative advisers back then ,

I think people paying tax at 40% should get tax relief at 40% the problem is because pension advisers were getting so much mileage out of pointing out that people on middle to high income would in most cases be getting tax break at 40% there top tax rate and paying 20% tax when taking from the fund in most cases.

People on the lower tax rate think the are getting a bad deal from listening to pension advisers negetive advice which may need to be countered by standardizing the tax break,

Last edited:
No problem.

It’s often said that tax relief on pension contributions represents a tax cost or tax subsidy of €Xbn per year.

In my view, the tax paid on pensions and ARFs in the drawdown phase and inheritance tax on ARFs should be netted off against that figure to provide a truer picture.

Gordon
The Whelan-Halley paper did allow for netting off but it found that under the assumptions not much tax was payable even for higher earners. It ignored inheritance tax but this actually favors ARFs over other assets.

People on the lower tax rate think the are getting a bad deal from listening to pension advisers negetive advice which may need to be countered by standardizing the tax break,

The idea that "negative advice" from pension industry salespeople is somehow stopping a lot of people from investing in pensions is kinda funny.

It's incorrect to assume that tax relief on pensions should be returned directly in income tax later. This seems to be the underlying assumption in the some of reporting.

The only way that that the government can back get all the tax back in real inflation adjusted terms is they've made pensions so unattractive that no one is contributing.

However it is better for retirees to have adequate incomes and the economy benefits even though the tax relief does not equal the tax returned on pensions.

Rather than deferred income tax I think it's better to think of pensions as deferred income, it's an arrangement between an employer and employee to pay something now and at retirement.

This is literally the case with government defined benefit pensions - for many each year they earn one year's salary + a promise to pay 1/80th of a salary every year after they retire. With private pensions it's similar but there's legislation and pension companies.

When someone decides to take some of this years income and instead have it as income at retirement under a strictly controlled pension scheme, then it's clear why there's justification for not taxing that deferred part at the point it's granted.

Focusing on standardizing the tax relief may well discourage middle to higher earners from maximizing contributions but will unlikely do anything to encourage lower earners to contribute
I strongly agree with that conclusion.

The Whelan-Halley paper itself shows that the modelled "net effective tax relief" tapers quite quickly at higher income levels - it's the poor old "squeezed middle" that seem to benefit most from the reliefs.

I would be very interested to hear the views of @Colm Fagan on this subject.

Relief for pensions contributions has its origins in the concept that you can only charge income tax on disposable income i.e. you can't get blood out of a stone.

Thus everybody was allowed certain reliefs for the basics of daily living and these personal reliefs would broadly align with personal circumstances such as marital status and number of children.

But also things like mortgage interest, indeed any interest, life assurance premiums, private health insurance and other medical expenses and pensions contributions were deducted from gross income in order to determine disposable income. In this way relief was naturally at the marginal rate and also the more you paid towards these costs the more you benefited from the relief.

This scaffolding has largely been dismantled. Life Assurance Premium Relief is long gone as is relief for interest on ordinary loans. Mortgage interest relief is much restricted. Medical expense relief is at the standard rate.

It leaves pensions relief looking starkly as a regressive subsidy whereas it did not originate as an attempt by the State to provide such a subsidy.

Last edited:
The idea that "negative advice" from pension industry salespeople is somehow stopping a lot of people from investing in pensions is kinda funny.
Before the pension levy on funds came in the Government first proposal was to put a levy in the profits in the pension Industry they lobbied to get it put on the funds instead ,

There was more to be creamed off 40% tax break than 20% tax break,Lots of the pension advisers started off giving advice to people on high income they still see them as there bread and cream,
There is more cream on the 40% subsidy,

As you can see some are already out of the block's ,

It is not that long ago employers and employees gained when people on lower incomes put extra income into pensions when they did not have to pay PRSI on pension Contributions there is a case to be made for giving extra tax break to people on lower Income in the long term there is more tax to be taken from there income when they retire as I know well,

Last edited:
Back