Key Post Got switched from Laser to Visa Debit card - anything I should know?

Brendan Burgess

Founder
My Visa debit card has just arrived. I am wondering if there is anything I need to look out for?

1) If you have set up regular payments on Laser, switch them to your new card. Doesn't affect direct debits to your bank account.
2) Use the contact-less payment service for payments under €15 - it seems convenient
3) Check your bank account more often to see if it's being abused in any way e.g. if you lose your contactless card and don't realise it.
4) There have been reports of failures, so have a back-up

Advantages of paying with a credit card instead

• In the right hands, very good for cash flow management - but in the wrong hands, a disaster
  • Credit Cards seem to be more widely accepted
  • Some Credit Cards have other benefits such as giving back 0.5% of your purchases
Payment protection in the event of non-delivery is probably the same for both
The "chargeback" process is the same for all Visa cards - whether they are debit cards or credit cards. I can't find this written down anywhere and I have so far, failed to get a copy of the rules from Visa in writing. They tell me that they are not written down anywhere.

Do I need a credit card now I have a Visa debit card?

2) Use the contact-less payment service for payments under €15 - it seems convenient

While it does seem convenient, if you are paying bank fees then the fees would amount to an enormous percentage of the price of small items - adding 20c to the cost of a newspaper or pack of gum or a city bus ticker is crazy.

Much cheaper to use cash for these transactions.

Some online sellers apply service charges for using a credit card, but may not apply charges for using a debit card.

Check the T&Cs on the seller's website, and check the charges which may be applied by your bank (especially if purchasing outside the Eurozone) to see which card offers the best value.

Thanks MrsV

I hadn't thought of that.

adding 20c to the cost of a newspaper or pack of gum or a city bus ticker is crazy.

But anyway, I read the papers online; I cycle everywhere and I consider chewing gum a disgusting habit.

Brendan

As laser cards have been scrapped you haven't much choice if you wish to keep a debit card. Retailers are not impressed as the costs to them are higher than laser.

I understood (from reading AAM) that visa debit provides the same protection as visa credit card. Could I possibly be wrong!!!!!!!!!!!

While it does seem convenient, if you are paying bank fees then the fees would amount to an enormous percentage of the price of small items - adding 20c to the cost of a newspaper or pack of gum or a city bus ticker is crazy.

Much cheaper to use cash for these transactions.

AIB are waiving the charge until some time in 2014. Maybe I'm being cynical but seems like a bit of a bait and switch to get people using them, then lob on the charges (which i think were to be in the order of 20c also) when they are in the habit.

If contactless payments are to be a true alternative to cash there will need to be a rethink on charges for micro payments.

I have used my AIB visa debit card in error when i intended to use my Visa credit card. I think the word VISA prominently displayed on top right hand corner of card confused me..maybe its advancing years!

I have used my AIB visa debit card in error when i intended to use my Visa credit card. I think the word VISA prominently displayed on top right hand corner of card confused me..maybe its advancing years!

Same thing use to happen to me. Thankfully I got a new visa credit card which is a different colour to visa debit.

Same protection for both cards here ... http://www.*****************.com/protection-when-buying-with-debit-or-credit-cards.html

(But many bank staff are not aware that this is the case.)

Great thanks for that.

A few years back AIB switched from having different cards for different services and accounts to having them all the same. I assume for cost cutting, but its not very useful for the customer.

Same protection for both cards here ... http://www.*****************.com/protection-when-buying-with-debit-or-credit-cards.html

(But many bank staff are not aware that this is the case.)

I have confirmed this directly with Visa on the phone, but I can't get it anwhere in writing. Having said that, Visa is usually very good on chargebacks.

Back