Bank of Ireland Got our tracker mortgage back... out of the blue

paperclip

Bought a house with a friend back in 2005. We opted for a tracker, 1.1% + ECB.

After 2 years, we fixed for 2 years.... but, when the fixed term was up, they put us on a variable.

I got in touch and said we wanted to be put back on our tracker... but was fobbed off... saying this wasn't possible.

I had a lot on, so didn't really have time to look into it properly.

About a year later, I read that BOI had to give over 2,000 trackers back, and also refund the difference.

I got back in touch, and was, again, given the run around.

Anyway, a few months back, we got our tracker back!

Not to be looking a gift horse in the mouth, but, are we owed the years we were over paying, with the variable?

Well done, and it would seem you should have gone back on a tracker not variable so yes you should be entitled to the difference between the two rates.

Don't trust they amount they give you back, make sure they show you how they calculate it.

Interesting that it was not them that contacted you but you who had to keep at them.

Well done, and it would seem you should have gone back on a tracker not variable so yes you should be entitled to the difference between the two rates.

Don't trust they amount they give you back, make sure they show you how they calculate it.

Interesting that it was not them that contacted you but you who had to keep at them.

Cheers, ye, it's all a bit strange... I asked them before to send me a copy of the contract, and they sent me everything but the contract.

I had a lot going on, so couldn't take care of this... but, now, this pretty much confirms that we should have been put back on this in the first place...

You're entitled to it under data protection. Put together a letter, say you're looking for all correspondence between them & you for x time period, enclose whatever the legal fee is (I forget) and you'll have everything in a few weeks.

your solicitor should have a copy of his version of your oringal contract, would it have the required info?

Paperclip

That is great news!

Can I just clarify what happened recently? Were you again demanding your tracker or did they contact you out of the blue?

When this did actually happen? And why did they miss you before?

Brendan

Paperclip

That is great news!

Can I just clarify what happened recently? Were you again demanding your tracker or did they contact you out of the blue?

When this did actually happen? And why did they miss you before?

Brendan

Nope, I hadn't mentioned it in over a year, we just got it back out of the blue.

This happend about 2 months ago.

You're entitled to it under data protection. Put together a letter, say you're looking for all correspondence between them & you for x time period, enclose whatever the legal fee is (I forget) and you'll have everything in a few weeks.

Really? And what's all this about legal fees?

Should we not ask them why we got it back out of the blue first?

Nope, I hadn't mentioned it in over a year, we just got it back out of the blue.

Was the reply you got in relation to the letter you sent a year ago, or do you think it was because you had been identified as one of the 2000+ they announced they were putting back on trackers. What would be great is if you could scan the letter (letting out your personal details)

Was the reply you got in relation to the letter you sent a year ago, or do you think it was because you had been identified as one of the 2000+ they announced they were putting back on trackers. What would be great is if you could scan the letter (letting out your personal details)

I never sent a letter, I got in touch over the phone... took a few calls mind you.

As we weren't told about being put back on the tracker, I'm not sure what the best course of action is now...

I know writing emails and letters is better for keeping track, but I like to get people on the phone, so I can find out what's going on.

I'll probably call again, ask what's going on? and that we'd expect to be re-imbursed...

Would this be the best course of action?

I think you should phone but get the person's name, and if possible, their email address.

Send them a follow up letter or email confirming your discussion.

That is the best of both worlds.

Brendan

Keep after them for your refund!! I am waiting on mine to come through. We went back to our tracker with effect from 1/10/12, they even broke our fixed contract and have promised a refund in difference in tracker and the fixed we paid since 2010. It took Ombudsman getting involved on a semi informal basis to get a resolution. The outcome was the one I looking for from the start. Ringing and writing to them gets no where. They appear wary of any action from Ombudsman.
Surely as matter of principle people should have automatically reverted to their tracker as their given entitlement and refunds issued without going to hassle of ringing writing and making complaints to Ombudsman.
Sadly I am sure there are many out there who are still struggling on fixed rates and should instead be rightfully on trackers.

Keep after them for your refund!! I am waiting on mine to come through. We went back to our tracker with effect from 1/10/12, they even broke our fixed contract and have promised a refund in difference in tracker and the fixed we paid since 2010. It took Ombudsman getting involved on a semi informal basis to get a resolution. The outcome was the one I looking for from the start. Ringing and writing to them gets no where. They appear wary of any action from Ombudsman.
Surely as matter of principle people should have automatically reverted to their tracker as their given entitlement and refunds issued without going to hassle of ringing writing and making complaints to Ombudsman.
Sadly I am sure there are many out there who are still struggling on fixed rates and should instead be rightfully on trackers.

Good to hear you're getting your's back.

Yes, it's a pity that it has to come to all this, I guess it's a game of attrition.

@ Brendan, thanks for the advice, I'll get a name, and email and send a follow up email, always good to have a paper trail.

I hope I don't have to bring the Ombudsman into it.

Will keep you guys posted

Back