Got offered a freelance job. Need to find out about paying my tax in October?

JC1512

I'm heading back to college next week. I've just finished travelling for the summer so I haven't been working. I recently applied for a freelance writing position and it's been offered to me. I'd be able to do it while I'm attending college which is great. The job is freelance and I'd be employed as a self-contractor. I would be making around €2000 between now and the start of November.

I don't have a lot of savings and I'm just wondering about paying tax on my earnings. According to a tax calculator, I'd have to pay around €400 tax in October on the €2000 I make between now and then. Is this correct? I don't think I'll be able to pay the tax since I'll only be working a couple of months and won't be able to save up much with costs of rent and college.

I'm just wondering whether or not I should take the job because I don't know if I'll be able to afford the tax.

Hi, I expect to earn money in November and December from the job as well. But I was a student from Jan to May and away from May to August so yeah, the 2k will be all I've earned up to the start of November anyway.

Hello.. as the 2k will be all you have earned you won’t have an income tax or usc liability or prsi.. but if it were me I wouldn’t bother registering for tax and filing a tax return .. it’s all too small.. but obviously that wouldn’t be the right thing to do..

Last edited:
To correct your misunderstanding,you pay tax on the full year in October of the next year.(ie 2019 in this case).

I'm just wondering whether or not I should take the job because I don't know if I'll be able to afford the tax.

Even if the tax was €400 are you not still €1,600 better off by accepting the work

Similar type question here. Might take opportunity to reinvent busking "career" and get a few gigs. If this activity generates €1200 annually (usually at Xmas time) will be most surprised. Have no intention of registering as self-employed and going through Revenue red tape hoops for this kind of money. Is it possible to add in this amount to wife's PAYE top line (jointly assessed) for tax purposes? Thanks

Similar type question here. Might take opportunity to reinvent busking "career" and get a few gigs. If this activity generates €1200 annually (usually at Xmas time) will be most surprised. Have no intention of registering as self-employed and going through Revenue red tape hoops for this kind of money. Is it possible to add in this amount to wife's PAYE top line (jointly assessed) for tax purposes? Thanks
If it's below €5,000 net of expenses and €30,000 gross you can, assuming that you and your wife have no other non-PAYE income

Back