Got offer on my house but buyer hasn't yet put their own on the market

"To be honest that sounds like clap-trap to me and is "trying to have it both ways"? Try this:-

"Yes! It's YOURS! Proceed with selling your own home on the basis you have a des-res to move to and the price is agreed...........HOWEVER we may phone you at any time to say "your" house has been sold to someone else."

A potential purchaser who agreed to such an arrangement in the present market would be seriously out of touch with reality."

If you would re-read the posts.........

The prospective purchasers are not in a position to buy this house until they sell their own. The Vendors have been advised to be very open with these prospective purchasers. The Vendors need to keep the property on the market. If they find someone who is in a position to make a real offer, well and good. If they don't and if, down the line, the Purchasers do sell their own house and are in a position to actually buy the house as opposed to hoping against hope.........

I appreciate that "chains" are very common in the UK. But in Ireland they are not. They may become more common. I don't know. Our advice to our clients is, if they are serious about wanting to move house, that they should:

1. Put their own on the market.
2. Consider selling before buying.
3. Consider bridging finance - if they are comfortable with the possibility of their own not selling.
4. Not restrict themselves to one "dream "home.
5. Be prepared for the roller coaster that is buying and selling.
6. Be realistic about their own ability to actually complete a sale or purchase and try not to waste everyones time.

There are an awful lot of tyre kickers in the world.

mf

In my opinion someone who has put an offer on a house that they cannot afford to purchase is a messer. In this case the potential purchaser has not even put their own property on the market. They are not serious and selling a house is serious business. I cannot believe OP that you would even consider their offer.

Many people see a house for sale in an area and decide to buy as ithey really like it - and because they really want it they jump in fear that they will lose out. Just because their house is not on the market doesn't mean that they are dishonest or not to be trusted as serious punters.

I recently made an enquiry to an auctioneer about a site. He was so informatative and friendly and I was stunned as It was about 15 years since an EA had given me this kind of service!!!

However, he lost interest when I told him where I live as a no house has sold in the estate in over a year despite about 10 tries... But I didn't need to sell or don't intend selling this house as I bought it purely for investment for its proximity to a hospital and college. I have the means to buy the site without selling the house.

My auctioneer friend - obviously rushed to judgement...

Maybe your buyer has the means to buy without first selling the house they are currently living in...

I think that it would be wrong to give soneone the run around by not being upfront. If they do sell their house and you have then sold to another buyer a family may have nowhere to go.... And will not be too happy...

Everything was priced and sold in this country over the celtic years. Surely morals are priceless - our values are the bedrock of our society our civilization.....

Best of luck in your sale...

Back