google search your desktop for Win 2000/xp

Ive had it for a couple of weeks. 2 limitations Ive found so far, Although useful for searching for txt in word docs, I cant seem to search for text in pdfs and I cant seem to find a file based on the name of the file alone.

If anyone finds out how to do either of the above, let us know.

On the plus side, its linked to the google main engine so it'll return main google and local results too.

It looks like google is trying to be a ultimate portal. someone told me yesterday theres an app out there that will use your google mail as an extra drive. All you'll eventually need is a browser and an internet connection.

Re: ...

Having read the link provided by Marion, I got the impression google know it wont work on PDF files.

Re: ...

I have downloaded this and it is very impressive! It works across networked drives and local drives. Indexation is ongoing during idle time but it has indexed over 2,000 files in less than an hour.

When you down load and install the program it lets you select the file types you can search for. A pdf filetype in not on the list. Right Mouse button on the swirly icon on the system bar at the bottom of your screen. Then choose preferences:

Search Types
Index the following items so that you can search for them:
Outlook email
Outlook Express email
AOL IM Word
Excel
PowerPoint
Text and other
Web history
Include secure pages (HTTPS)in web history

ajapale

google

Surely google are getting info from your pc/desktop as I believe it tries to contact the internet as told by firewall ?

Re: google

I think history is hinting at the possibility that google may be using the data generated by the search engine to build up information on the users.

I think it is unlikely that Google are currently doing this for a whole rake of reasons, but given that this is being used (openly) with gmail I would say it might come in time.

z

Thanks zag,

there is a tickbox which you can leave unchecked if you do not want information transmitted to google.....I left mine unchecked anyway.

A draw back with the beta version is that it only works with MS e-mail. I dont use ms outlook so it cant find my (thousands) of emails.

There was some question as to whether it works with the firefox browser. I think it does but im not sure.

ajapale

The Register has this contrarian [broken link removed].

It begins...
Google's Desktop represents a privacy disaster just waiting to happen, a rival has warned. David Burns, Copernic CEO, says users should know that the giant ad broker intends to mix public and private queries in the future, leveraging its key moneyspinning product: contextual advertising.

Sluice

leakyhose

I had to google toolbar installed to see pagerank info. I read lots of stuff about privacy issues, and decided to uninstall it.

There's no way I'd install this google search facility. Just wait until they start linking it to ad-sense.

copernic.com

[broken link removed]

Copernic are competitors for the desktop search market and I guess theire boss had to react to Googles preemptive strike last week

"Google Desktop" help is available here: desktop.google.com/support

ajapale

Anybody using this now in 2007? I was thinking of trying it out. Any opinions?

Back