Good time to Invest in Stockmarket via Index Trackers?

apple1

Folks,
With most indices at a low ebb, I plan on starting a savings fund in early January for the nipper and figure now is probably a decent enough time to invest in the stock market. I don't have the time nor skill to pick individual shares and given most indices are pretty low, I was going to use one of the Quinn Life or Eagle Star investment products (i.e. Freeway type vehicles). I'd appreciate any feedback/comment on the relative merits of investing in the market currently using these product types and any advice on how I might split the portfolio given the relative weakess of the dollar/sterling vs the euro. Thanks in advance, apple1

In the short term I would expect the markets to fall further or else go into a sideways trend, the economic outlook for at least the next couple of years is fairly bleak and you will find that many major investors will look to safe havens for their money i.e. govt. guaranteed bonds etc. If you invest now and take a long term view i.e. 15-20 years you should see a healthy return. There are bargains to be had in this type of market but they are also further companies that will go under.

Investing in Sterling is probably a better short term punt, it is likely that sterling will strengthen towards the end of 2009

Back