Good, reasonably priced Opticians?

DeclanDublin

So, just got my appointment to get a check-up with my opticians (Specsavers). I am going there years. However, I wonder if anyone has found a more affordable optician in the Dublin area and would recommend them? I find personally that I see an offer for two for one or some such lark for around the 2-300 mark, and then I go in and, after all the extras are added on, I'm paying €5-600 or even more. It bugs me, but I do like the eye test in Specsavers as it is very very thorough, but baulk a bit at the end price.

Can't help as I actually had switched to Specsavers as I found them cheaper than either my local option, or Vision Express!
And I found the service \ eye checks etc to be good

But, if you have private medical insurance, check the list of out patient expenses. Some policies allow you to claim back €100 - €200 of the cost.
Also, if you have PRSI cover, I think they have re-instated the contribution towards a frame if you go for a more expensive one.

Thanks, everyone. I will check my Laya health plan for any benefits I might be able to claim for. I hadn't thought of that! Re the price of €600 or so, I had varifocals, anti-glare, specially thinned glass...it all adds up, especially for 2 pairs.

Yep, maybe it's not so bad. I probably am moaning a bit, and I deffo check out zenn Thirsty, however I suspect I prefer to go an see someone about them - pun intended! And yer right Red onion, I really do only use one pair. The other pair is packed on holidays just in case. When I was leaving with me last pair for €600 or so, I looked at em and said to meself, ' can ye believe they cost ya that amount of dollars!' Ouch. All I will say is ouch....:)

€600 or so
Tell you what - give me your prescription and a photo of the type of frame you like and I'll get them for you for €400 ;)

Seriously though, the odds are that your optician is ordering your glasses through zennioptical.com or a similar site.

Tell you what - give me your prescription and a photo of the type of frame you like and I'll get them for you for €400 ;)

Seriously though, the odds are that your optician is ordering your glasses through zennioptical.com or a similar site.

Its very easy to tell by the quality and speed of service.

My optician makes up the glasses on site and unless your presciption is very unusual can have them ready in a few hours.
They spend a lot of time helping you choose frames that fit well.
They have a free readjustment service if you are in the habit of stretching your glasses out of shape.
Repairs are very fast and very cheap (often free unless new glass is required).
Their service for children is top class, where all of the above are even more important.

No website can offer all that.

This might not be worth the money for a lot of people but if you rely on glasses, thats what you are paying for when you go to a full service, high street opticians.

Horses for courses...

I wear glasses all day, every day. My last pair from Zenni cost me around €60 (rimless varifocals) about 3 years ago and they are still going strong.

Back