Good Pubs & Restaurants in Wexford Town

IrishGunner

Going down to the Yellowbellie town of Wexford soon and looking for any recommendations for restaurants and pubs

The only pub i know is the Stores that still going/

Have not been down in Wexford in yonks

Thanks

Haven't been myself for a while, but afaik Centenary Stores is still up and running and continuing to serve good food.

Pubs

The Centenary Stores - Charlotte st
Dakota - Monck st
The Crown Bar - Monck St

Restaurants

Heavens above - South main St
Fordes - Crescent quay
Mange 2 - Above the Crown Bar in Monck st

These are the best of the lot.

Enjoy !

Had a nice dinner in Fordes last night, but it was probably a bit overpriced for what we got (€108 for 2 including wine). Scallops were yummy, mind you.

I should add Robertino's on Main St to the list for family orientated Italian grub with a couple of interesting menu choices (ostritch & kangarooo). The waitress seemed a bit taken aback when I asked for wine with my meal and had to check if there was any in stock as they had run out yesterday! Fortunately, they had a bottle for me.

Food
Emerald Gardens
Heavens Above
Fordes
La Riva
Robertinos
Sharkys (great chipper!!)
Springsteens

Drink/Dance
Chocolate
Dakota
Cargo
Sinatras
The Sky & The Ground
Centenary Stores

Whitford House, just outside Wexford on the Rosslare Road does good food too. The newly bre-built White's hotel is just opened- don't know what it's like though. I'd also give thumbs up for Centenary Stores (their seafood chowder is good) and Robertinos which is a good option for anyone with children. La Riva, got a great review from Paolo Tulio a couple of years ago but we weren't impressed when we dined there. Outside of Wexford there's the Lobster Pot- heard about this place for years and TBH thought it was over rated. There's a nice pub, Kehoes, in Kilmore Quay who do a nice pint and good seafood- bit of a drive but woth it.

La Dolce Vita for Lunch (North end of town, near the new Greenacres-which you should check out as well)

Theres a gorgeous indian restaurant in Wexford. I dont know the name of it isbut if you are at the cinema entrance, follow the road past it (towards the town) and it branches up to the right (I think at Dunnes) and then up a hill and the road veers to the right again and levels off before going down the hill again (all one way). The restaurant is on the "levels off" part of the road. Looks small from the outside but they have a basement too.

I'd have to second everything that Carpenter says, and if you do happen to take a drive to Kilmore Quay it would also be worth your while checking out The Silver Fox.

I have no affiliation to this business, other than being a very satisifed yellow-belly!

A_b's Indian restaurant is called MUKAT in the Westgate area of town.

Don't bother your barney driving to the Lobster Pot (particularly if you have children) as children are most defintely NOT welcome there, they have a big sign at the door saying so !!

We attempted to go in there off peak (i.e. not summer) 4 adults and 2 children and were told basically we were not welcome as the children were in buggies ! Even though we were looking to sit outside at some picnic tables they had out there and which were empty. So needless to say they were advised by us that they would not be recommended by us and that when all the tourists have gone home that we would still be around and will not be putting any business their way. Funny when we didn't have children they were drooling all over us ! Maybe time to check the Equality act 2000 !!?????

Personally I think the food in the Whitford is atrocious & has gone downhill in recent years - we used to go for lunch there & now won't go near the place.

The Heritage Park in Ferrycarrig does great food at lunchtimes, as does the Riverbank House Hotel over the bridge.

Also the Farmers Kitchen in Drinagh is decent enough

going to new ross for the weekend. any suggestion for that town. staying at the brandon house hotel I think its called. We booked over the net and the one thing that struck me was the prices being charge this weekend for a weekend break with a few notable exceptions this Brandon house hotel being one €99 per person for two nights brekkie extra but thats ony a few euro and I suspect will bring it up to no more than €125 max which is good for this time of year( and if the brekkies are overpriced then we can always skip into town for one there) any restaurants or pubs recommened in new ross and is the hotel central ie if we have a few scoops in town can we walk back to the hotel? cheers

jdwex said:
La Dolce Vita for Lunch (North end of town, near the new Greenacres-which you should check out as well)
I forgot to mention the Potato Market by Crescent Quay is meant to be good, but I haven't tried it myself.

Havealaugh said:
Don't bother your barney driving to the Lobster Pot (particularly if you have children) as children are most defintely NOT welcome there, they have a big sign at the door saying so !!

We went there with our little one, minus the buggy but would agree with you whole heartedly- the sign at the door is a disgrace. The contrast with how our continental neighbours treat customers with children couldn't be more stark.

Carpenter said:
We went there with our little one, minus the buggy but would agree with you whole heartedly- the sign at the door is a disgrace. The contrast with how our continental neighbours treat customers with children couldn't be more stark.
I went there about 18 months ago after fishing down by Carnsore pt and the food wan't up to much! It hnd a good reputation 15 years ago.

I've been told by a neighbour of the Lobster Pot (who incidentally used to be quite a regular there, until they adopted a child, and were basically shown the door !!) that part of the sign on the door states "This is not negotiable" Ha Ha ! Mad really isn't it ?

Is such a sign legal ? After all if it said that Travellers weren't allowed and that it wasn't negotiable it would make the news at six !

If going to Kilmore quay - Kehoes pub and parlour is the spot - great lemon sole there !

Chans (Chinese) in Wexford town is newly renovated and is nice too.

Well stayed in Whites hotel, only re-opened 2 months still a bit of newness about it. Restaurant was not that great given a choice of a €45 or €25 set menu prefer if I had more choices

Went to the Stores more our age but just sat at the bar no clubs for us. Also tried Chocolate and missus got a fly in her drink(no puns) and ignorant staff would not change it left there very quick

Went to Fordes €108 for 3 course meal and wine sharing starters and desserts. Bit overpriced but lovely food.....yes scallops where mouth-watering

Also went to Monart good place to chill full of couples, men looking for brownie points I was told by two men there.

good weekend and expensive ah but you have to treat yourself now and again

Thanks for the advice

Back