good places to source out of print Second hand books?

liaconn

Could anyone recommend some good places to source out of print books? I spend a fortune on Amazon ordering books I enjoyed years ago but are long out of print. I'm sure I could pick up copies of some books much cheaper in second hand bookshops or markets. But most of the charity shops out my way seem to be full of the latest chick lit or John Grisham or old Jeffrey Archers (not knocking that, but it's not really what I'm looking for).

Thanks

Myself and OH are voracious readers and swap books with neighbours and friends.

Another source is the Oxfam Shop in Dun Laoghaire, they have thankfully sorted their books into fiction and non-fiction, which is great for us as it's non-fiction we're mainly interested in.

There are also two other 2nd hand book shops in Dun Laoghaire - one is called [broken link removed] and they have their books sorted into categories. They also accept 2nd hand books and will give you a credit or cash for them.

Can't remember the name of the other shop, but it's on the same street - Lower St. Georges Street, Dun Laoghaire.

Not sure where you live and if this will be of any use to you. :)

Thanks for that. I live Southside and would sometimes be out Dun Laoghaire way so will check those places out.

. the book depository and AbeBooks are both online providers. The latter has been very good for out of print books. Both give good vallue.

Last edited:
Could anyone recommend some good places to source out of print books? I spend a fortune on Amazon ordering books I enjoyed years ago but are long out of print. I'm sure I could pick up copies of some books much cheaper in second hand bookshops or markets. But most of the charity shops out my way seem to be full of the latest chick lit or John Grisham or old Jeffrey Archers (not knocking that, but it's not really what I'm looking for).

Thanks

Are you buying them off amazon or off marketplace sellers? I find marketplace sellers good for old stuff and can usually get bargains - like a penny + postage.

Abebooks and alibris are also good, as is ebay.

I havent bought a book in a bricks and mortar shop in years actually, although I have picked up second hand stuff at book sales (there used to be a regular one in Howth at the weekends) or markets.

Theres a liquidation place up by DID electrical in Tallaght that have a lot of second hand books but theyre not well organised so youd need time to browse.

Back in bricks and mortar days, Chapters was my favourite second hand book shop.

I use abebooks quite a lot although now that I have a kindle, I'll probably always check to see if something is available for free there first. :)

I find Abebooks uk website the best for older books even new copies. And having a UK address sometimes makes postage a lot less.

In Dun Laoire, the best second bookshop I have found is the one in the Autism charity shop in Lower Georges Street, near where Knowle electric used to be. There is a charity shop for blind opposite Connollys shoeshop (or used to be Connollys) and all upstairs is books. Bring along your discarded books as a donation!

I have my book collection augmented by visits to various charity shops. I know what I want e.g. John D Sheridan books which are long out of print. Also, my holiday reads are collected in this way months in advance.

Better again, I come across notes or letters in the books written to or by the owner, very interesting what you can pick up. I like to see endorsements informing me about who received the book and on what occasion etc. Some of the stuff is more interesting than even the books, a kind of nosey snippet into other peoples lives.

Back