Good movies at the cinema

Firefly

Being Oscar season anyone see anything good in the cinema? I went to see The Road last night. Must say it was the bleakest film I've seen in a long time. Probably one for the film critics, granted, but I was looking at my watch waiting for this to end.

I (almost) saw a 'version' :))) of The Road recently on disc. Didn't play properly. I thought it looked very good though, but bleak, yes.

Invictus seems to be getting good reviews (critical & public) but the whole concept (and Mr Damon) doesn't greatly appeal to me.

The idea of Avatar definitely doesn't appeal to me. I suppose I feel I should see it though.

I presume 'An Education' will be back in the cinemas now. It got lukewarm reviews but I really enjoyed it and the sixties setting is great.

I don't understand the "life changing" pompous rubbish people have said after Avatar. I enjoyed it, but it wasn't exactly deep and I strongly refuse to accept the "sci-fi" tagging. Chimps in Space was more sci-fi than Avatar. It's Ferngully with migrane inducing 3D with a bit of alien smut thrown in at best.

I'm still avoiding The Road. The book is pretty bleak as it is and the dark mood lingers in your head for a while, not sure I'm ready for that with a film. May wait for the DVD.

There hasn't been too much that's really whipped up a frenzy for me this year. I probably enjoyed Up the most out of 09's cinematic releases.

Hurt Locker

I was very disappointed with this. I say 'very' in that expectations were high but it failed to deliver - for me anyway. Not that I thought it was a bad movie as such - well photograhed and well acted certainly, but I just thought it was very dull.

On the subject of war (kind of) really liked Inglourious Bastereds BTW - but you would probably have to like Tarantino, it's not for everyone.

I am required to go and see Alvin and the Chipmunks (the Squeekwel) this weekend with my little un. The Road sounds so much better !!!

I was very disappointed with this. I say 'very' in that expectations were high but it failed to deliver - for me anyway. Not that I thought it was a bad movie as such - well photograhed and well acted certainly, but I just thought it was very dull.
/quote]
I didn't hear anything about Hurt Locker before I rented it so maybe that's why I thought it was good.

Loved Inglorious too - esp the scene in the cafe/bistro.

I just saw Avator.
Very predictable plot, but the 3D effects exceeded my expectations.

I would recommend it on the basis of the 3D effects.

On the subject of war (kind of) really liked Inglourious Bastereds BTW - but you would probably have to like Tarantino, it's not for everyone.

Have to agree, I was really very disappointed with it. Reminded me a bit of the 9/11 film with Nicolas Cage - alright up to a point but then the big hero American soldier comes in!

Inglorious was very good, particularly liked the opening ten minutes!

Have no interest in Avatar whatsoever!

Last film I saw was paranormal activity - thought this was really very good and quite creepy - I'm not somebody easily scared but jumped quite a bit at this one!.

DVD wise - I recommend District 9 - not the usual rubbish Alien film, quite clever!. The soloist also a good one.

Looking forward to seeing The Road - loved the book though so probably not a good idea to see the film!

Brothers looks very good from the bits i've seen so far. Jim Sheridan seems to pull everything out of Toby Maguire and Jake Gyllenhaal

The Road is a brilliant film imo. Its dark and hard to watch at times but the story of hope in the young child (kodi mcphee) and the fire inside him keeps you watching til the end. Viggo Mortensen is amazing in this film and yet not one Oscar nomination at all for the film.

Precious is a very moving film of a young abused Harlem school girl and her journey from the dark horrible world she lives in to a much better one.

DVD wise - I recommend District 9 - not the usual rubbish Alien film, quite clever!. The soloist also a good one.

Yeah, I liked District 9 too. Odd. Starts out almost comedy and slowly darkens!

The soloist?

DVD wise - I recommend District 9 - not the usual rubbish Alien film, quite clever!.

Definitely agree. Though some colleagues do wonder why I refer to them as a"clever fokken prawn" or "it's the sweetie man".

Inglorious just didn't do it for me. I think Tarantino ran out of ideas and talent halfway through Pulp Fiction. He could do a handy turn at short films though, it's just the filler he has to come up with to make it a full movie. Having said that, the film is saved by some excellent acting.

I am required to go and see Alvin and the Chipmunks (the Squeekwel) this weekend with my little un. The Road sounds so much better !!!

My deepest sympathies. I resent the 2 hours of my life that was wasted on the Chipmunks.

I'm another fan of The Road, but I am a massive Cormac McCarthy fan, and I know its not everyones taste.

Edge of Darkness is good, almost very good, but you won't feel too cheerful at the end of it all.
Read The Road, and whilst I enjoyed it, really don't want to see any more bleakness.
Avatar is a real popcorn movie, park your brain and enjoy the spectacle (sic).
Went to see Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs with the kids when it was on the cinema and rather enjoyed it! Think this is just out on DVD.

+1 for both District 9 and Hurt Locker

One I want to see next is A Prophet

Inglorious just didn't do it for me. I think Tarantino ran out of ideas and talent halfway through Pulp Fiction. He could do a handy turn at short films though, it's just the filler he has to come up with to make it a full movie. Having said that, the film is saved by some excellent acting.

It's often said that you either love or hate Tarantino but I feel neither way. I genuinely think that both Pulp Fiction and Jackie Brown were excellent movies but for me, that's where it ends mostly.

Reservoir Dogs obviously caused a big stir initially but look at it now and it's very self conscious, mannered and almost stagey. Plus it's a complete rip off of an earlier Japanese film.

If Tarantino would quit messing about, showing off with tricksy stuff and making knowing references all the time it would suit him a lot better. I really don't want to see homages to Kung Fu, B Movies - whatever - directed with a smirking eye. Jackie Brown was almost totally conventional - yet some would argue his best movie.

As mentioned, the best scenes in Inglourious were fairly conventional ones too.

If Tarantino would quit messing about, showing off with tricksy stuff and making knowing references all the time it would suit him a lot better.

+1. I always liked Tarantino. Then I realised watching Kill Bill that he spent too much time showing off to the audience. It just started to irritate me. It seemed every scene had to show how much he knew about Japanese movies, Chinese movies etc etc.

And then I went to see Basterds and realised he had dedicated entire scenes to showing off about his knowledge of French and German movies. IMO, the opening scene is truly brilliant and the movie goes down hill from there.

I agree, i thought Hurt Locker was a little dull and overhyped. I wasn't giving much hope for Inglorious Basterds but I really enjoyed it, definitiely one of the best of '09.

...I'm another fan of The Road, but I am a massive Cormac McCarthy fan, and I know its not everyones taste.
Yes, I thought the road was a horrible, depressing, miserable film.
As they say, not a first date film :)

Back