Good idea to switch off "Show Previews" of notifications in banking apps on your phone

Brendan Burgess

Founder
I heard a BBC Radio 4 programme yesterday where a woman's phone and wallet were stolen. They did not give the full details of the scam.

But it involved a text with a code being sent to the phone. But although the scammers couldn't access the phone , the code showed up anyway as that is the default setting.

So it's a good idea to switch this off.

1) Settings
2) Notifications
3) Find the App - e.g. AIB Mobile
4) Under Show Preview - choose either Never or When Unlocked.

Brendan

But this step is done after Mr Scam enters the account number and passcode. ? While it helps it means the account is already compromised. I guess it stops them transferring amounts from the account online. She must have had her details written in her wallet.

Edit: Actually it allows the user to make an online purchase using her cards over a certain amount as well, Now that is handy.

Changing app notification settings will do nothing to prevent SMS text notifications.

Some phones have a general Lock screen setting to only show notification icon when locked, and no details from the message.

I heard a BBC Radio 4 programme yesterday where a woman's phone and wallet were stolen. They did not give the full details of the scam.

But it involved a text with a code being sent to the phone. But although the scammers couldn't access the phone , the code showed up anyway as that is the default setting.

So it's a good idea to switch this off.

1) Settings
2) Notifications
3) Find the App - e.g. AIB Mobile
4) Under Show Preview - choose either Never or When Unlocked.

Brendan
This doesn't make sense.
What do you mean "showed up"?
If you mean a notification then that, in itself, shouldn't be a problem.
Maybe she saw the notification and tapped on something that then caused problems.
But even that doesn't sound right.
Maybe a link to the programme might help?
But, in my experience of BBC R4 consumer programmes, where they like to minimise individuals' stupidity and maximize the powers of the scammers and "the man", maybe not...

Hi ClubMan

It was some programme that was on in the background so I am not sure what day. I think it was woman's hour or something like that - Call You and Yours.

When AIB sends me an authorisation code, I don't have turn on my phone to see it. That is what is meant by "showed up"

Brendan

The issue is that if an attacker steals your phone and card and then attempts an online transaction requiring a security code, some phones will display the security code in the SMS or app notifications, even when the phone is locked.

Last edited:
Is that the specific situation that the programme covered @MugsGame? That makes a bit more sense but I can't imagine that it's that common for one's phone and bank card to be misppropriated? I suppose if you don't trust your housemates though... :)

one's phone and bank card to be misppropriated

That was another of the tips.

Don't keep your phone and bank card together.

A lot of people keep their bank card in the phone wallet.

With Apple Pay, maybe it would be better not to carry a bank card at all?

Brendan

The issue is that if an attacker steals your phone and card and then attempts an online transaction requiring a security code, some phones will display the security code in the SMS or app notifications, even when the phone is locked.

That's a general notification setting though isn't it. You can choose what gets through to notifications. I know mine is usually set to show notifications but not what's in them. Well until the last update flipped it back.

If in any doubt do this on your iPhone (iOS 16) :

1)Home Screen
2) Settings
3) Notifications
Scheduled Summary - OFF​
Show Previews - NEVER​
Screen Sharing Notifications - OFF​
SIRI​
Announce Notifications - OFF​
SIRI Suggestions - OFF​
These can be your default settings when out & about, simple and uncomplicated.​
When in the safety of your own home, tailor the settings to your own preference, app by app if necessary.​

What banks still use the send you a code and have you input it model? All of my accounts require unlocking the banks app and confirming the transaction and have done for years.

Those operating in Ireland who can SMS a code include AIB, Avant and Curve (Curve has the option to do in app, but it doesn't work for many).

AIB app.
I see it now has the User ID and PIN number
auto-filled when I open the app.
Thats a tad risky, say my phone was stolen.
Is there a way to turn off auto-fill ?

Back