Key Post Good Building Books for Ireland

E

Elcato

Posted by Mags and Tim

Hi there, looking for a book on house building and although there are plenty out there, they all seem to be UK orienated. Does this matter or are things different in Ireland? I still live in the UK but am moving home soon YIPPEE!
Some recommendations would be great, Thanks

Re: Can anyone recommend a book?

I seem to remember that cork county council published a very good one last year some time ... I'm not sure of the title, but I reckon it might be worth a look.

building

Cork County Council have recently published a book called "Cork Rural Design Guide". I've seen it in Eason's and other book shops, and it costs around €20.

self building magazine

I don't know any good books, but I got a brilliant magazine called Self Building. I don't know if they have a website, but the e-mail is: [email protected].

re: Can anyone recommend a book?

The best book that I know of that's widely used in construction is called "Homebond House Building manual". It costs about €45 and is available from easons.

Re: re: Can anyone recommend a book?

yeh the homebond manual is supposed to be excellent

The Housebuilders Bible

is a great book, UK oriented, but nearly everything also applies over here.

Gives you good info about what to consider in building options so you know what to ask for and what you are getting into.

Homebond is very technical, might be good if you spot something and want to draw it to your engineers attention.

Book

Thanks everyone, I'll have a look at those and get back to you

change the name to " Good Building Books for Ireland&qu

Perhaps the mods (with the original poster's permission) could change the name of this interesting thread to " Good Building Books for Ireland" or similar. Perhaps it could be made a key thread together with books and publications on other house and garden issues?
Just a suggestion.
ajapale

"Good Building Books for Ireland"

I agree with ajapale.

I'd like to see more posts on self-build Projects, there is one or two old threads, but a new Key-Post would be extreamly useful.

I've bought the HomeBuild book in easons, and I also found it fairly technical.

Good building books for Ireland!

Yeah I also agree and you have my permission, great suggestion

Re: >>Good Building Books for Ireland

"Perhaps the mods (with the original poster's permission) could change the name of this interesting thread to " Good Building Books for Ireland" or similar"

OK Boss ;)

i agree

the housebuilders bible is packed with stuff and a really good buy

i agree

a really good buy

or borrow....I might sound like a broken record, but the library is packed with this stuff!

Re: >>Good Building Books for Ireland

Another book worth checking out is called "Building Your Own Home" by David Snell and Murray Armor. Although it's mostly for the British market there is a small section on Irish Planning laws. It has some good advice and is available in most bookshops.

Back