Golf TDI - what do you think

browser

Hi,

Herself is looking to upgrade her car and I went to the local garage and saw the following:

Golf TDI 1.9 2002 - it has about 84k on the clock
Took it for a drive and it seems great - now I admit I don't know much about cars and especially Golfs there is so much variations on them - the badge on the back say TDI but the cover on the engine is TDI - a few other minor things need tighening up.

It has an English Reg - but that is being changed - he's paying the VRT.

He is asking for €13,000 - no trade in.

I guess what I'm asking is this a good price?

Thanks,
Browser

Fairly high mileage for a 2002 car I would have thought. I have a 2002 Alfa I bought used that had 32k miles as og August. My 1999 Alemera had 106k miles when I sold it at the same time.

It's high, but in terms of the engine life I personally wouldn't be too much put off, in the case of a diesel. Ask to see the service history.

Ask about the type of driving done — big difference between 84k on motorways vs on 'country' roads (they have them in the UK, too!). You could be looking at premature suspension/tracking issues...

Mileage is very high for 2002 but as Dr Moriarty said diesel engines go on and on and on! Don't think you're getting a great deal - you're a cash buyer and you could get a deal like that from a garage and have the back up of a warranty! Check out...

Saw a 2002 VW Golf Comfortline 1.9TDI for €14,900 (44k) with a garage in Dublin. Alloys, Metallic Paint, Electric Windows, Central Locking, Remote Central Locking, Alarm, , Drivers Air Bag, Passenger Air Bag, Multiple Air Bags, Air Conditioning, Climate Control, CD Player, Adjustable Steering Wheel, Rear Head Rests, Traction Control

As a cash buyer you would be very appealing to the garage and so I would expect you could negotiate him down to €13k - with warranty!

I think if memory serves me right a 2002 TDI Golf was 100bhp and TDI was 130. There used to be a sticker in the boot of them also that had the power output in Kw so you might be able to figure it out if you find that. The dealer should know what it is as there would be a differance price wise between them.

As mentioned before check service history, receipts if possible as a book stamped on it's own is not much use.

Check for accident damage. Might explain the differant badges if either the front or rear was damaged.

For real peace of mind get the chassis number or the UK reg and do a UK HPI check, 40 Sterling. Checks for accident repairs, clocking and outstanding finance etc.

Have a look at www.carzone.ie or www.cbg.ie for reference

Does the car come with Full VW Service History, make sure Timing Belt is done?

Don't Forget your a cash buyer - haggle like $*&!!

might be worth checking the UK history ,i.e. HPI clear (finance owing on the car) and maybe an inspection to see if the car has been crashed. as already mentioned

The engine may well be fit at 84k, but don't forget the chassis, bodyshell, brakes, suspension, and transmission never mind the interior will all have suffered to at least some extent over that kind of mileage.

I think ure safe enough as long as their is a FSH with the car. Makesure the timing belt has been done - might need to be done again now depending on when origionally. Also the waterpump might need replacing..These two can cost bout 1000 extra..Other than that I think ure okay

Thanks for all that folks - think we're going for the car - got a 12 month warranty - so hopefully if something goes wrong it will go wrong within this time.

browser

baz05 said:
I think if memory serves me right a 2002 TDI Golf was 100bhp and TDI was 130. There used to be a sticker in the boot of them also that had the power output in Kw so you might be able to figure it out if you find that. The dealer should know what it is as there would be a differance price wise between them.

As mentioned before check service history, receipts if possible as a book stamped on it's own is not much use.

Check for accident damage. Might explain the differant badges if either the front or rear was damaged.

For real peace of mind get the chassis number or the UK reg and do a UK HPI check, 40 Sterling. Checks for accident repairs, clocking and outstanding finance etc.

The sticker with the power output in kW was inside the owner manual of my old TDi.... oh how I miss that car!

Fantastic engine with a remarkable range of power compared to a petrol engine - it'd accelerate from 1700rpm like a petrol engine at about 4000rpm! The handling though is a bit floaty, perfect for motorway/main road driving but a little challenging on windy country roads.

As said before, make sure the t-belt has been done recently and be wary of any mileage limit on your 12-month warranty - caught a friend of mine out recently just before his 3-month warranty expired. And I'd recommend a HPI check too on any car coming in from the UK.

Back