Golf Membership Munster

Holtend82

Hello there, i am just wondering if anyone knows any good golf courses with a reasonable membership fee within 50 miles of Cork city. I am willing to take a county membership somewhere because what i mainly want is just to keep my GUI affilliation.

Kenmare has some offer at the moment I am not sure of the details but you could check. The ross in killarney is quite a nice 9 hole and I think they have country membership. Killorglin golf club is a lovely 18 hole club and it has dropped its entrance fee for new members who join and full sub is somewhere short of 5oo euro but they may also have a country sub.

Blarney Golf Course is looking for members at the moment - don't know much more than that !

I'm a member of slievenamon too so I could get a GUI handicap. Cheap & cheerful.

Have a look on here though, click on county or province & you can search by different memberships, i.e. 7day, country etc etc.

Thanks everyone, i might try and play slievenamon next week to check it out.
Seems very reasonable.

Not all golf clubs in Munster are always looking for members. Usually, if they are taking in new members, they advertise within/without the club and they normally do so at a certain time of the year.

I know a few people from Cork who joined Slievenamon G.C. They tell me that the club takes in a lot of such faraway members for a relatively small amount of money on the understanding that you won't play a lot there, thus leaving it relatively free for more local members. They play there just a few times a year, have a G.U.I. handicap, can play open competitions in any club in Ireland and are very happy with that. A Co. Limerick club operates similarly.

That said, I've also heard that quite a few members haven't renewed their membership in a number of clubs this year, due mainly to economic factors. I think there is a very good chance that these clubs will be looking for new members shortly and a number of them have reduced their signing on fee already.

With regard to Blarney Golf Club, it is currently in receivership and you can join (with no money up front) by paying €100 per month, as far as I know. However, how you would stand after the receiver has gone, I'm not sure.

If you were looking for advice, I would definitely recommend that you join a club as close to you as possible. You'll play more (e.g. going for a few holes in the evening after work etc.), you'll get to know more people there and you'll feel more of a member than if you were travelling a distance to get there.

Good luck in your search.

P.S.

A lot of clubs demand that you be a full member before you can revert to country membership. Keep that in mind if you're going the country membership route.

Back