Golf GT Sport TSI 1.4 v Honda Civic Type S .. owner experiences!

bobalong

Hi Guys,

I realise their are a few threads here on the GOLF TSI, but all are from 2008 and before. At this stage and seeming the TSI engine has matured a little ( ?? ), I would like to hear from owners who have one of these cars?

I am coming from having owned alot of Honda's and up to recently a Mazda MX5 Nevada 1.8i - lost her on ice before christmas, the joys of RWD. I am considering the Golf TSI or a Honda Civic TYPE S ( 1.8 - 140bhp ).

I have heard scary stories about the turbo in the TSI causing issues and other problems. As a friend said one might only hear the BAD EXPERIENCES online where those who have good experiences do not post as they are happy.

Is the fuel economy as it says on the tin or far lower?

Look forward to your thoughts
Aidan

Which version are you looking at? I have the 122BHP version from early 2008 and I like it. It has been ultra reliable and better economy than the standard 1.4. (around 40 mpg) However it is not especially fast and the Civic would be reliable and faster. I also have heard that the 140 and 170 BHP versions can be problematic. Personally I would go the whole hog and get the GTI which is proven to be a great drive and reliable without costing a whole lot more to run.

Som42,

Thank you, yes either the 122 or 140bhp.

I looked at the GTI's - Insurance can be a bit high I would say, though I am north of 37.

AND Road Tax higher also??

Sadly, due to gov policy these days, I reckon cars bigger than 1.5/1.6 petrol are going to be getting rarer. Particularly when people realise resale of such cars into the future will plummet as running costs sky rocket ( petrol / fuel costs, Road / Carbon Tax, Insurance etc ). Not good news for any of us into cars with a bit of pep or sporty :(

The PRE 2010 Honda TYPE S IS 1.8 I know, but its emissions put it into band D ( €447 ) JUST .. at 156g/km it comes in 1 unit higher than band C. However the newer 2010 TYPE S models fall into Band C as they are down to 155g/km.

h**ps://w**.motortax.ie/OMT/pdf/co2_emissions_rates_2009_en.pdf ( being a newb here I cannot post URLs yet )

This is why I am looking at the GOLF TSI and the TYPE S - a bit of performance while nodding to running costs also?

Aidan

And SOM42,

Their is no Supercharger in the 122bhp version? Am I right?

Whats the torque like in the 122? How is she on hills and the like?

Aidan

Yes as far as I know its a turbo only but you can't really tell when the turbo kicks in. Thats IMHO is a good thing. The power delivery is smooth and there is no turbo lag. However if I was looking for a performance car I would look elsewhere. I like golfs and I just wanted one that was nicer to drive than the 1.4. I do very low mileage in the car so I couldn't justify a diesel or the higher powered versions. The torque is OK but nothing to write home about. Having said that I am very happy with the car, the Honda is probably better to drive and will probably be more reliable in the long term but I'm happy with what I bought and wouldn't swap for a Honda. I dont know if that makes sense but there you go!

PS The GTI is a great drive and if tax/insurance is the only obstacle I would have one in a heartbeat. You'll be driving one of the finest hatches ever made for very reasonable money nowadays. Insurance costs should be minimal for a 37+ year old. If it was a choice between a well minded 2 year old GTI and any or the others new I have the GTI in a heartbeat!

Have 140bhp TSI (turbo+supercharger) for last two years

Problems: cd player and steering rack fixed under warranty

Overall really like the car - great power for the engine size - good handling as well with the sports suspension. Quite econonical as well 40mpg + possible with a bit of restraint.

I have heard that the 122bhp (tubro only) version is nearly as good just lacking a bit of the low down poke the supercharger gives.

If you go for the TSI its vital that servicing is done on time and the right engine oil is used.

Can I ask why you are looking at petrol models? Why not go for a VW Golf GTD or Scirrocco 140bhp diesel. Even the standard golf comes in a 2.0litre 140bhp model. Fuel economy, torque and good future resale value.

If you are still keen on petrol try the 200bhp petrol Scirocco. One test drive and you'll want one. It also comes in a 1.4 122bhp.

GTD seems 2010 on, only?? .. €30k plus ... dont have that.

Same for the Scirrocco - for an 07 €23k up generally.

Unfortunately I am swimming down around €16k ...

Yes - I will give you the Standard 2.0L Golf :D

Aidan

Back