Golf Diesel filled with petrol

Calebs Dad

My misses filled a 08 Golf Diesel with petrol, dove it 4kms before it stopped. It was towed back to a garage, drained, diesel put back in. Drove it to the garage tonight, it stopped, got it started, put €20.00 in diesel in without turning the engine off. It stopped and is refusing to go.

Anybody got any ideas.

it has fuel at pump and when when you switch ignition off/on fuel pumps out

Did they put a new fuel filter in? and how much diesel was in the tank already when she filled it with petrol?

the fuel light was on, so about 8 litres. She then put about 20 litres of un-leaded in. Dont think a new filter was put in, as when drained it started

If it were me id put a new fuel filter on and put a full tank of diesel in.Even after draining there can be small amounts of petrol left in the tank.

Thats a big amount of petrol to have driven even a few k's

Hate to say it but it may have done some damage fuel pump would be my biggest concern.

Get it to a good mechanic not vw though as they will want to change everything

oh and add some oil to the tank, there is no lubricating qualities in petrol,, just a little oil to help

oh and add some oil to the tank, there is no lubricating qualities in petrol,, just a little oil to help
Em no I don't think adding another liquid to the tank is a very bright idea.Unfortunately its the electric pump in the tank that usually goes wallop.Don't keep trying to start it,seek out some (non main dealer) help.

As it is a new car you don't want to do anything that might invalidate your 2 years warranty. Bite the bullet and bring it back to the dealer you bought it from and try to sweet talk the sales guy & service department into giving it a once over at minimal cost

I was watching Dragons Den the other week and they invested in a guy that had a device to prevent you putting petrol into a diesel engine.

There initial target was fleet markets, eg car rental companies, as this could potentially save the companies 1000's.

Yeah I saw that episode.

They were saying that the damage done can amount to 12,000 pounds sterling per vehicle.

Ouch!

I have invented a new thing for my misses, a big sticker on the window say DIESEL and a copy of the bill. The car is now running.

What needed doing?

Was it just flushing or a few parts.

Don't just leave us hanging like that.

Back