Golden Retriever behaviour

I'd hope that's just a turn of phrase.
Would a collar not be useful, to cause a gag reflex, if a dog refused to release a bite hold?
Yep :p - you never know she might think the baby is a cat :D:D.

We find a collar harness has always been the best, but then we've small dogs.

OP is best to get the advice of a behaviorist for type of collar/harness and muzzle recommendations. Its all about ensuring the opportunity for a bite does not arise.
 
Really do appreciate all the insights and advice, thank you. We have reached out to the original team that trained him and we are going down for another session. I've had him here with me in Wexford for the last few days and he's good as gold, not even a much as a dodgy look. He's dropping things on command for me and following all my requests. I believe the neutering takes a number of weeks to quell the hormones so I'm seeing each day as progress. I haven't allowed any circumstance where I can't control him 100%. We still have decisions to make and will take all precautions in the meantime. Have had a sit down with our sons too so there is consistency and they understand and will comply. When he's in play mode I can take any rope type toy out of his mouth no problem, there is a distinct difference with resource guarding where I use the bribe to get him to drop. Not ready to give up on him just yet but there is work and accountability ahead.
Again appreciate the input.
AM
 
Not ready to give up on him just yet
Please don't .... the next owner may not be so patient & loving towards him... he seems to have made huge steps in a short time, and it's always a journey. Little (consistent) steps and whatever you put into him, you'll get back 100 fold. The very best of luck with him !
 
How many people should he be allowed to bite?
The dog is now being managed even more - with continuos training , the dog will continue to improve his behaviour and the owner will continue to grow.

There is never an expectation that any dog, no matter how well managed / trained / trusted etc will not bite - we can only manage the dog and taking the appropriate precautionary steps to ensure that such an event is minimised.
 
There is never an expectation that any dog, no matter how well managed / trained / trusted etc will not bite

I do think that in the case of dogs, past performance is a good indicator of future performance.

If a dog is not aggressive and has never bitten and is not a dangerous breed, then you can reasonably expect that it won't bite.

I don't think that Golden Retrievers are an aggressive breed, but this dog has a history. If it can be trained out, fine, but the OP must be open to the idea that if it bites again, it should be put down.
 
We need to forget about breeds. Every dog will bite if they are in a bad enough situation. It is a natural defence. The vast majority of dogs will only bite as a last resort after they have given several warning signs. Breed is much less important that temperament and history. The main reason certain breeds are more dangerous is because of their physical ability to cause more harm (e.g. bigger jaws) rather than that breed's personality or nature.

I have had many dogs over the years, big and small, and I have been bitten several times. Each time it was my fault in one way or another. For example, as a child a terrier bit me on the face when I tried to kiss him on the nose. I had been repeatedly told to leave him alone and after he had backed away, growled, given me plenty of notice. Even then he just did one snap and I got off very lightly. That dog was not at fault and thankfully was not put down.

That is very different from a dog who will randomly or unpredictably attack someone, especially if the behaviour escalates over time.

I have 2 dogs at the moment who are really well trained and have always been gentle. I never allow them to interact with anyone unsupervised and if there is a child nearby then I have the dog on a short leash. I get the shivers when I see people allowing young children to play with dogs, it is just such an unneccesary risk, and the consequences can be horrific. People are deluded thinking that their dog is "good" or that a family dog like a labrador is "safe". Demonising certain breeds actually increases the overall risk to children because we get a false sense of security about the supposed safety of other breeds.

Every dog is a bite risk - some are close to 1% chance, most are in the middle somewhere, some are sadly at 99% - but none are 0%. Every dog owner should understand from the outset that their dog could turn out to be dangerous and they may need to one day euthanise them. If you can't contemplate that then you should not own a dog.

In this case the owner has realised there is an issue, is going to great lengths to identify the causes and address them, and seems very responsible and proactive.
 
Are some dogs not bred to be aggressive and fight?

I don't think that Retrievers are.

Yes, the owner is doing her best. But...

If the dog bites again despite Kitten's best efforts, she will have to face the reality that her training has failed.
 
Back
Top