Going to Sardinia in May

nod

Heading to Sardinia in May with wife and three kids,has anyone been there around that time,what was the weather like,was it very quiet.
Also,we're looking for a good campside to stay at,we usually hire a bungalow or mobile,and reccomendations,we'll be flying in to Alghero so will probably stay around there,any info on car hire.

Thanks in advance

I did Clubman,I'm more interested in finding a good camp/caravan site and was looking for some info on that and also what its like in May.
Your post on Sardinia was very informative

There is a good camp/caravan site just outside Alghero heading towards Fertilia. Beautiful unspoilt beaches beside it.

I stayed in Alghero last March and it was very very quiet. The place shut up shop at about 1p.m. and didn't reopen until about 7 p.m. We stayed at www.hotelangedras.com a nice hotel with good street parking to the front as it is located in a residential area. We used public transport to get around but I noticed that the roads were very quiet. Have a look at the Alghero forum on Not one of our better destinations though. In March it was short sleeved weather with a light fleece in the evening.

Cheers Clubman and Boxthefox,
Clubman,I think the camp site your referring to is Camping Calik,did you stay there yourself?,it looks pretty ok from the website

Yes - that's the one. I didn't stay there but passed by a good few times. I'd second the tip too.

Hi,

We stayed at Camping LaMariposa which is just on the outskirts of Alghero towards Fertilia last June. Its about 1/2 hour walk to the old town from the campsite. They have a decent website.

We stayed in a "Vilino" which was their most "luxurious" type of accommodation but was in reality just a small chalet with a double bed and bunks. Still it did our purposes fine (a couple only) and was very cheap - approx €50 per night. Otherwise the camp site is good, right on the beach. There is a supermarket there, a deli that did really good sandwichs for lunch and also a pizzeria in the evening. Overall I would recommend it.

Alghero is nice but it is a bit quiet alright. Some good restaurants and all fairly reasonable.

We didn't rent a car but I probably regret not doing so now as it would have been nice to see other parts of the island. We did enquire and the price were quite expensive - approx €80 per day, but if you rented for a week it might work out more expensive.

Some good restaurants and all fairly reasonable.
Having been to Sicily and Sardinia several times I have to say that eating out in places like Taormina and Alghero which attract a lot of tourist traffic, while a lot cheaper than Ireland, is still much more expensive than, say, the Algarve (for similar fare - e.g. fresh fish etc.). Obviously if you go slightly off the tourist beaten track (e.g. Catania, Syracuse etc. in Sicily or Sassari etc. in Sardinia) then you notice the prices falling...

We stayed in Camping La Marioposa as well http://www.lamariposa.it/- it was late September. It's right on the beach and has a windsurfing school attached to it, as well as a small pizzeria and shop. It's about 30 mins stroll from the Old Town.

We hired a car, which I'd recommend (free parking in the campsite helps as it's pay parking everywhere else in Alghero). We stayed in various other parts of the island as well, but came back to Alghero for an extra few nights at the end as it was our favourite spot.

I can't remember the names of the all of the places we did by day trip, but one to the grotto (go by car and walk down the steps) - there's a nice little beach on the way slightly hidden away, but sign-posted. The road south to Bosa (?) is a nice trip as is a trip up to the beach on the north west coast of the island.

Actually - Mariposa is the one that I was thinking of and not Calik as I mistakenly said earlier!

There's a regular local bus that runs along the seafront road between the camping site and the town.

Neptune's Grotto is the place that you are probably thinking of?

The three day trips I'm mentioned in my post above are the first three listed on this site; Grotta di Nettuno, Bosa, Stintino:
[broken link removed]
I think the name of the beach on the way to the grotto is called Spiaggia di bombarde.
I should add that we drove to the Grotto and went down the steps, but didn't actually go inside! I've seen a fair few stalagmites and tites in my time, so enjoyed the views and sunshine instead.
I'm not a beach fanatic, but Stintino was just beautiful and is worth the trip.
We also stopped off in Castelsardo on our way to somewhere else, but you could probably do it as a long day trip from Alghero and it's worth a visit.

Back