going to court - do we need solicitor

clzn,

Firstly, despite what you say, there may still be avenues of approach you can take to get your money back.
You need to take legal advice to explore them and do not make the mistake of sending a heavy around to get your money.

There may also be cutbacks you can make and you are going to have to make them.
I'm not being cocky about this, I have gone through the mill myself in the past five months, and still going through it.

You cannot just deal with one debt if there are others.
You cannot just stand idly by and let debt defaulters who haven't paid you away with this crime.
So first things first, do up your monthy accounts and see what long-delayed new years good intentions you are still enjoying.

• Pints on Friday night
  • Cigaretters
  • The Gym
  • Sky or NTL/UDP [or whatever they are now]
  • Foreign holidays
  • Gambling
These are all well known "essentials" and they can be done without or trimmed back to lower levels if you have not done either before consider doing so now.

10 fags a day at €8.50 for 20 equals €1551.25 a year.
There are two partners and I am presuming two spouses and do you all smoke or is it nearer 20 rather than ten?
If either you all smoke or its twenty rather than ten, the debt would be mostly cleared within a year.
Make wise choices, do what you can.

In the review of hte judgement, make your case showing your outgoings and incomings and suggest a rate even a nominal rate, at which you can pay things off - €20 a month.
Also argue your position is not through wilful negligent or criminal action on your part, it is the current economic climate, the lack of work and the lack of payments of debts owed that has resulted in this.
It may be useful if you have spoken to MABS, the money advice and budgeting service and gotten your house in order before then.
This will show the court you're not running away from the debt and are taking all possible steps to get your house in order.
MABS will help you budget your money and buying wisely helps cut expenses.
You could also ask informally for a haircut for the debt.

For example €180 a week for food and goodies for three - three survive well on €75 a week through wise buying and looking for bargains.
Little things like Dunnes Stores bread at €0.50 and milk at €1.49 help the Euros stretch a long way.

But don't just sit there or ask here.
The finances are yours to deal with - no one else can do this.
You have to make your own budget planner out and stick to it

This might sound like a little tough love, but it may halp get you into a stable position.
Showing the Courts you are trying to manage a difficult situation will tend to go in your favour.
And arriving in Court looking like someone sombody will want to hire on the spot might just help a bit.

"You don't get second chances to make firt impressions" - this is never more true than with a Judge of the Circuit Court.

"Fail, to prepare, prepare to fail."

Hope this helps.

Good luck.

ONQ.

Back