Gmail opens service for Irish users

DrMoriarty

Gmail opens service for Irish users
Gmail, Google's free e-mail service, was opened up to Irish internet users yesterday at www.gmail.com. Up until now new users had to be invited by an existing user of the service, but now anyone in Ireland can register.
The Gmail service provides a large storage capacity for mail (over 2.5 Gigabytes), anti-spam filters, quick search of old mail and the ability to view e-mail conversations around a single subject.
Gmail competes with Microsoft's popular Hotmail service but Google is hoping greater storage capacity and other unique features will win over new customers.

(Irish Times, today)
Google are of course paying me handsomely for mentioning this... ;)

Hi there,
maybe this seems a stupid question, but what are the advantages of gmail over any other email. Am using oceanfree.net through MS Outlook and for the vast majority of the time there are no problems with it. I do seem to be plagued with spam though and am using Mailwasher now as well.
Any help/advice would be appreciated

Regards
Lorraine B

Tried it this morning but to no avail...looks for an invitation code. It allows set of a mobile phone email account alright which is not what I was looking for.

ninsaga

Last edited:
Hi there,
maybe this seems a stupid question, but what are the advantages of gmail over any other email. Am using oceanfree.net through MS Outlook and for the vast majority of the time there are no problems with it.

Practically no spam - have been using it as my public email address for the last 2 years and in that time I got one spam email.
Search function is great - instanteously searches your email for e.g. passwords, the last email you sent to someone etc.
A hybrid email- messenger service - which allows you to easily follow conversations you have with people.

A good product.

Hi there,
maybe this seems a stupid question, but what are the advantages of gmail over any other email.
No such thing.
[SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1]Fast search[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Use Google search to find the exact message you want, no matter when it was sent or received.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Lots of space[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Over 2815.344329 megabytes (and counting) of free storage so you will never need to delete another message.[/SIZE]
talk_bubbles_small.gif
[SIZE=-1]Chat right inside Google Mail[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]It is just one click to chat with the people you already email. You can even save your chats in your Google Mail account. Learn more[/SIZE]
mobile_j2me_micro.gif
[SIZE=-1]Mobile access[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Read Google Mail on your mobile phone by pointing your phone's web browser to . Learn more[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]
Other new features here.

Thanks DrMoriarty, am trying to make up my mind if I should chage over and at the moment gmail is winning the battle!!

Lorraine B

I probably have a load of invites left, so if you want any just PM me with your email address

I like gmail and have been using it for years.

But...I find logging in very very slow. I have several active accounts and logging out of one and into another can take an age.

Is there anyway the logging in process in gmail can be speeded up?

thanks,
aj

I have to say that I have never had any problems with Gmail and the spam filters and archiving are fantastic. It's been my primary e-mail account since I first signed up

Is there anyway the logging in process in gmail can be speeded up?
If you use MS Outlook (or pretty much any other e-mail client) you could take advantage of Gmail's [broken link removed] and configure your client to automatically send/receive mail from each of your accounts. I don't know that it would be any quicker per se, but it would save you having to log in and out of each account manually.

Of course, it would also mean that you'd be backing up your mail (with all attachments) to your hard drive, which may or may not suit. But I'm sure you could configure your email client to dump messages older than X/which exceed a certain size...(?)

[Edit: I also have 90-something invites left on each of my three or four accounts, so anyone who wants/needs one (?) — just ask...]

If anyone wants an invite pm me an email address and I'll send one on to you

Apparently the whole point of this topic is to say that finally you don't need an invite to sign up.:)

I guess he means service-wise,and i have to agree. No spam, no BS in general & no errors on the gmail website, it's just more efficient than any other sites i've experienced over the years.

I've been a besotted gmail user for a few years now. Nothing else compares.

HOWEVER, it's more like gsnail today. Anybody else having similar problems? Is it because they've let the riff raff in?

gmail is great.. you can also personalise your google home page and include gmail on the page... it will show if you any new e-mails with out having to log into gmail to see if you have mail....

I've been a besotted gmail user for a few years now. Nothing else compares.

HOWEVER, it's more like gsnail today. Anybody else having similar problems? Is it because they've let the riff raff in?

Hi, the gmail service is great and not slow for me. But it was slow for me when i had like, 90 emails in my box and i deleted them and gmail was much faster for me. Now i only keep a max of 20 messages and it runs fine.

guess he means service-wise,and i have to agree. No spam, no BS in general & no errors on the gmail website, it's just more efficient than any other sites i've experienced over the years.
- Thanks Snakebite for the above comment.

Back