Gmail application for Mobile Phone

Zapatista

Hello All,

I have downloaded the gmail mobile application in order to check my emails on my mobile phone. However it's not working as I need a data package with my price plan.

I can access gmail normally using my mobile phone's browser which leads me to my question.

What is the difference, if any, between using the gmail mobile app to view my emails and going straight to the mail.google.com URL on my phone's browser?

Zapa.

to use the app on the phone you need an APN connection to the google servers which is setup by the mobile cos. When you use the browser you go through their WAP servers which then forward the information to your phone - like a proxy. You can't use a proxy for the application.

Thanks for that davidoco,

What would be the advantages of using the app instead of the browser??

Zapa.

Two possibilities:
1) You can ask your mobile phone operator to change your WAP connection to an ISP connection (I'm not sure if this will solve your problem);
2) You can access Gmail (or anything on the Internet) if you download Opera Mini to your phone: www.operamini.com (works for most handsets)

Please read my posts again.

I'm fully capable of viewing my emails by simply using the browser.

My question is: Is there any advantage when using the app as opposed to the normal browser??

Zapa.

If you use the Gmail app or use the Opera Mini app, the browser will 'fit' the data to the mobile phone screen. This will reduce your need to scroll around to see all the data (it mainly prevents you needing to scroll to the right). Maybe your phone's browser automatically does this, but very few do at the moment.

If you use the Gmail app or use the Opera Mini app, the browser will 'fit' the data to the mobile phone screen. This will reduce your need to scroll around to see all the data (it mainly prevents you needing to scroll to the right). Maybe your phone's browser automatically does this, but very few do at the moment.

Ah I see. That's ok then. My browser does a reasonable job of displaying the pages on gmail. I was worried that using the browser might use up more bandwidth and therefore cost me more.

If the differnece is purely aesthetic then I'm happy as is.

Thanks,

Zapa.

Back