Glo Health Renewal

redwood park

Hi Snowyb.
First of all I would like to say a huge Thank You for all the time you give to this forum. You are a mine of information.

We are a couple of OAPs. We got our renewal notice for "Best Plan" from Glo Health (around 3500E). We have heard about a new plan called "Zest Star" also with Glo (around 2800E). Cover looks much the same. Would you agree or are we missing something? Both plans have an excess for orthopaedic procedures of 2000E.

I am currently having treatment for knee pain. There is a possibility that I will need knee replacement in the future. Is there a better plan out there that includes Orthopaedic but has also most of the other benefits that are included in above plans? If there is such a plan will I have to wait for 2 years to have cover for operation.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank You

Last edited:
Hi redwood park,

Just to clarify, is your knee treatment at the moment carried out with your GP, or is it in a public hospital outpatient dept, or is it in a private hospital as a day case?
Also, what date is your renewal?

Regardless of what plan you choose, you will be covered for a knee replacement in a public, private or hi-tech hospital. The problem with Glohealth is if you choose a private or hi-tech hospital for this surgery, you will have to pay a co-payment of 2000. The wait time at the moment in public hospitals is 2 years, so thats not helpful.

If you switch to a Laya plan, which fully covers orthopaedic surgery, you will be covered straight away for knee surgery but you will have to pay the 2000 co-payment, if its done in a private or hi-tech hospital. After 2 years on the new plan, you do not have to pay the 2000.

There are a couple of options to consider, which I will post later, when I know the answer to the above question about the knee treatment.

Regards, Snowyb

Last edited:
Hi redwood park,

Just to clarify, is your knee treatment at the moment carried out with your GP, or is it in a public hospital outpatient dept, or is it in a private hospital as a day case?

Regardless of what plan you choose, you will be covered for a knee replacement in a public, private or hi-tech hospital. The problem with Glohealth is if you choose a private or hi-tech hospital for this surgery, you will have to pay a co-payment of 2000. The wait time at the moment in public hospitals is 2 years, so thats not helpful.

If you switch to a Laya plan, which fully covers orthopaedic surgery, you will be covered straight away for knee surgery but you will have to pay the 2000 co-payment, if its done in a private or hi-tech hospital. After 2 years on the new plan, you do not have to pay the 2000.

There are a couple of options to consider, which I will post later, when I know the answer to the above question about the knee treatment.

Regards, Snowyb

Regards, Snowyb[/QUOTE]

Regards, Snowyb
[/QUOTE]

Hi Snowyb.

Thank you very much for your prompt reply. My GP referred me to a Private Consultant in Santry Sports clinic. I have arthritis in both knees. He recommended steroid injections into the knees. I have had one knee done which was successful (pain gone) and I am having the other knee done next week.

Our renewal date with Glo Health is 29th November.

If you need any more information please ask.

Thank You.

PS. Technology and me don't mix. I don't know what happened above.

redwood park,

The Glohealth plan 'Zest Star Plan' is an excellent alternative to 'Best Plan' with savings of 700 overall.
All credit to you on this one, you found out the info about this new plan. It would be highly recommended.

The knee injections in Santry Sports Clinic would be classed as a day case, so a plan with no excess is ideal in this situation.
The Santry Sports Clinic is one private hospital that had a concession regarding not charging patients the 2000 co-payment for orthopaedic surgery.
If knee surgery happens in the future, it would be worth enquiring about this concession.

Another good alternative plan with Glohealth worth considering, is called Nurture Star, price per person 1200pa.
There is no day case excess on this plan, which is a big plus.
There is a low inpatient hospital excess on this plan of 50 x 2 per year for private or hi-tech hospital admissions.
This would achieve savings overall of 1100, and even if both of you had 2 admissions per year, savings would still amount to 900 overall.

Comparison as follows;
[broken link removed]

Regards, Snowyb

Thank you so very much Snowby. We will investigate your suggested plans. I wish you and your family a very Happy Christmas and a Healthy, Prosperous New Year.

Back