Glass Shower Enclosures

Valhalla

Hello,

I am doing a complete refit of my main bathroom and the plan is to put in a 900x900 quadrant tray and glass enclosure. I mentioned this to a friend and he told me to be carefull with any large glass enclosure as they are a nightmare to keep clean and especially so if there is a window that allows lots of natural light to fall on it. Considering that these things are in and around 1k, I thought I had better put it out there and see what other peoples experiences were.

Thanks.

Our clear glass one is a nightmare! If you can at all get frosted, otherwise the clear ones show up every drop of water and are a devil to keep clean (anyone know any tips?)

I've used Cilit Bang a couple of times on mine. It works well to get rid of the marks but to be honest the pong off it nearly knocked me out in the ensuite (with door and window open).

White vinegar will remove most marks from glass; unsoftened water is a particular problem in that it leaves minute limescale deposits on glass each time the shower is used.

Carpenter is right - white vinegar is the best, not to mention most environmentally friendly and cheap way to get your shower enclosure clean. A good tip is to fill an old spray bottle with a weak vinegar solution and spray it onto the glass after each use.

Thanks will try vinegar cause I felt like the Cilit Bang fumes could be dangerous.

Thanks for all the replies,

Sounds like high maintenance for an enclosure thats going to cost a grand. My girlfriend is a very enthusiastic cleaner and even she agrees with that.

Might look around for even partially frosted enclosures, but have not seen any as of yet.

Please keep the comments going on this one.

I've bought a new "Merlin" glass shower to be fitted in our ensuite- it cost about a grand also, but I'm not worried about the glass staining. I think Berlin's tip is a great idea.

Don't go for frosted glass if you are in a hard water area - the frosting will hang onto the limescale.

I just keep a squeegee in the shower and run it over the doors after each shower and rarely have to scrub. Roundy enclosures make this more difficult and a friend of mine is cursing her new one since she got it.

Rebecca

MissRibena said:
I just keep a squeegee in the shower and run it over the doors after each shower and rarely have to scrub.
Rebecca

Rebecca- have you seen the shower joke in The Craic?:D

LOL guess we are all conforming to type.

My boyfriend isn't too bad for using the squeegee to be fair but don't start me on the wet mats, towels on bed, clothes on floor etc. etc.

Rebecca

I use Mr Muscle Shower Shine and it really works.

You just spray it on the wet tiles and glass after you've showered and leave it to dry.

Buy eCloths from Arnotts, Stock or Avoca Handweavers (also available online). They are invaluable for cleaning stainless steel and glass - you don't use any detergent or cleaners with them, just rinse in warm water, rub over the surface and that's it, no streaks.

There's a 2-cloth pack available - the blue cloth is for glass/mirrors/shiny surfaces and the green one is for general cleaning. The pack costs around €15 but they last for ages.

Back