Glasnevin or Phibsboro

liaconn

A friend of mine is househunting and has seen a couple of houses he likes in both Phibsboro and Glasnevin - both handy enough to where he works. He's American and I'm not familiar with either area. Which would be the better area re amenities, safety, community spirit etc?

Thanks

Two quite large and very diverse areas. The nicest parts of both are those nearest the Botanic Gardens. Obviously that is itself Glasnevin, but some of Phibsboro is just up the road. Developments such as Dalcassian Downs straddle both. Glasnevin Dublin 11 stretches very far north and I'm sure some will say really enters Finglas.

Glasnevin: Personally I would say Glasnevin Dublin 9 is best in terms of safety while remaining central and close to amenities. But a lot of the housing here is red-bricked and pricey (whether renting or buying). On and just off Botanic Road and St Mobhi Road remain close to town while very pleasant. If you go further north across Griffith Ave. you are going a bit further out, while still a nice suburban area, into Glasnevin D11. Personally I'd avoid going too far NW. A lot of the housing stock available and listed as Glasnevin lies here. I am not going to say these are bad areas, just not as desirable as back further East or South.

Phibsborough: I have never actually lived here but it has been a contender for many years and I am broadly familiar with it. It stretches from its grittier southern edge very close to town to the Southern tip of Glasnevin to its North. The further north the better IMO. Central Phibsborough is larger than Glasnevin and is better served in terms of shops etc. Some very nice houses and areas to the West of Phibsborough off the North Circular Road as it enters Phibsborough too, the likes of Avondale Rd/Ave.

Phibsborough may have an earthier feel to it, but without clarification of the exact areas being looked at it's hard to be any more detailed. If you could specify any roads they are looking at a more detailed answer may be possible.

Having lived in Phobsborough, and now living in "Glasnevin North". these are both relatively good areas.

Phobsborough is near town, loads of buses - loads of life, pubs, the community is mixed, you have students, home owners etc which gives the area a different vibe to Glasnevin. Glasnevin is a lovely village, and would be quieter than phibsborough.

There is a pub in Glasnevin called the Tolka house, across the road are nice apartments that would be reasonable enough to rent. You are also near to the Grave Diggers Pub [broken link removed] there..

Your friend should get an 83 from town out some evening, got out at the Tolka Valley pub and walk back to Phibsborough - this would give him a feel for both areas..
P..

I’ve lived in Phibsboro 4 years and currently in Glasnevin for 6. Both very nice places.

I would echo the previous 2 posts. Phibsboro has more in terms of shops and pubs and therefore is more lively. There would be a good student population in it owing to its proximity to DIT and the Mater Hospital.

Glasnevin is quieter but a little more picturesque owing to some of the lovely housing in it. It would generally have more families and older people than Phibsboro.

If public transport is a consideration then Phibs has more Dublin Buses running through it. Even within Glasnevin I find that the North & West ends of it are better served with regular buses (eg 40/140) than the rest of it.

Anything else, just ask

Back