Giving out Product Key Information?

wally

Hi,

I purchased Microsoft Office Professional (Commercial) from ebay, and have just installed it, but when I launch Word or Excel they say 'non-commercial'. I have e-mailed seller who said this shouldn't be the case as it should be commercial and they will contact their own supplier tomorrow - they have asked me for the product key and another number on the box - am I compromised in any way if I give them this? I don't understand how it all works apologies, it seems my system has all been installed correctly, when I entered product key it had a 'tick' as if to confirm it was an original number, but I am a bit daunted about giving the seller my software product key? I was going to uninstall and re-install it but again will this be possible if the product only has one license which has been activated already?
Sorry this question is a bit long-winded, perhaps it is safe to give this to the seller who really does need it for checking with their supplier.?? Any help appreciated.

I think you will have to trust the seller in this case and after all you did buy it from them.

If MS Office is working and the product key validated, why should you care? I wouldn't get too hung up on what the product actually says it is as it will work excatly the same regardless. I wouldn't give the product key out to anyone.

Perhaps you should contact Microsoft and ask them to answer your concerns.

Well I paid extra for the 'commercial' version, I could have gotten the home version alot cheaper, I know it's unlikely anyone will ever pull me up on anything but I just wanted to do things right as I'm setting up a business so would be using it for business purposes.

On a separate note, the bidding history looks suspicious to me, only one other new bidder who rose the price up to my highest price and then I won it, but I have to much on my plate at the moment to get into a big thing with ebay trying to sort it out as they are useless.

I don't think I will give the seller the product key, I am going to re-install the software as I have since seen some forums where people have had the same problem.

Joys of ebay...........

Thanks

It would seem to some that I am pimping this site as I mentioned it in another thread but I'm not.

It's all legit Microsoft software and none of your eBay messing...

I have ahd the same problem with the home version bought from PC World about 2 years ago. Will try it agian later on today if I get a chance but it always aborts half way through. No joy with either the vendor or Microsoft web site and as far as I know there is a charge for MS customer support. Have taken to using google docs, not ideal but at least it works.

It would seem to some that I am pimping this site as I mentioned it in another thread but I'm not.

It's all legit Microsoft software and none of your eBay messing...

The OP was looking for the commercial license, not the student one! A commercial enterprise using software obtained under a student license could be leaving themselves open to prosecution.

The OP was looking for the commercial license, not the student one! A commercial enterprise using software obtained under a student license could be leaving themselves open to prosecution.

Not sure about that. If the product key matches the version of the software, that is all Microsoft are interested in as it is a valid and legal install. Otherwise why would that site be selling the Enterprise version of MS Office?

Not sure about that. If the product key matches the version of the software, that is all Microsoft are interested in as it is a valid and legal install. Otherwise why would that site be selling the Enterprise version of MS Office?

Nope, the student licence terms are quite clear. The student versions are also available for acedemic institutions to use, hence the availability of Enterprise versions. If all they were interested in was the key, why would they even bother selling the same thing at different price points? Why would any individual or company pay full price if they could legally use the student version?

By installing the software, you are agreeing to the terms and conditions of the contract. The Software4Students T&Cs even cover the eventuality that someone purchases software they are not entitled to.

Back