Give up Disability Allowance for FIS?

redracer

Hi all, looking for some advice from your very helpful board of experts again.

My partner hurt his back in Mar 05. We reapplied for Disability Allowance (DA) in Mar 07 (1st one was rejected). This claim was also rejected and we appealed and appealed again. We made the renewal application for FIS in Jun 07 and this is being held until the DA has been finalised. Obviously this has severe financial implications. I didn't mind so much for the first month or two as both are backdated and I knew I could pay off credit card when one or other came through (essential expenses only eg heat, food etc).

The last time we applied for both around the same time and the same thing happened - FIS held until DA sorted. We left the DA at that as needed some money so took the FIS. The reason we've held out so long this time is that partner was self employed previous to injury so is not entitled to any other benefits and I wanted him to have some PRSI identity for this period.

The last letter we had from the DA basically said thanks for last information you sent, we'll be in touch sometime. At this stage, I'm afraid if we don't accept the FIS soon, they won't backdate it and this year will be up (due for renewal beginning Jun). Both rejections stated that partner did not meet medical criteria for DA. Partner has been attending consultants/physios/gp for last 3 years for this and so far treatments and operations have not worked. They're all a bit baffled as to what will work but can't put a specific name on problem and I think this may be part of the problem with DA.

I had thought to cancel DA claim and accept FIS, then apply again after but dread thoughts of starting again (already 1 year for this one). Also had thought to accept DA decision and to claim for unemployment assistance (as the SW say he fit for work) but he's really not and would not even be able to attend any interviews/FAS courses.

I work part-time and we have one child. We receive small supplementary welfare allowance until income boosted by one of the above so means tests are not the delay.

Any advice on what to do would be greatly appreciated.

Back