Give Back Car To Garage

car29

Hi,

Hopeing someone can give advice on this, I bought a car from a garage and it is still in warranty (3 months) having a lot of problems with the car, I will be handing it back for the second time for the garage to take a look at it, I got my mechanic to give it look over and he has given me a list of things that need fixing, what are my righths in relation to just returning the car at this stage the Garage are SIMI registered just sick of the problems at this stage.

Thanks

Brian

I'm afraid I can't advise on your situation but have a similar query which any feedback from someone in the know would be most welcome on and may also help you.

I bought a new car at the end of January. Within a month the entire steering rack had to be replaced.

Noticed some fluid on the driveway when the car came back and thought it may just be after the service, but the latest problem is with the traction control whereby when you go around a bend there is a light saying the DSTC needs servicing and the handling frighteningly just goes. Car is back at the garage waiting to be plugged into diagnostics.

If goods are faulty you are entitled to a repair or replacement, but having made a purchase in excess of €30k and encountering such safety issues (big concern transporting the kids in it now) in less than 3 months, at what point can you say that you will only be happy with a new car ?

Many thanks in advance,
R-

There's no clearcut answer to either situation.

By law (consumer law), you're entitled to have something that's fit for the purpose for which it was bought. If it's not, you're entitled to to a repair, replacement or (ultimately) a refund.

The difficulty is that it's a question of interpretation as to when either a replacement of refund is justified and ths becomes even more problematic when the item to be replaced is as valuable as a car.

The bottom line is that if you're not satisfied with the redress offered by the vendor, you're free to take legal action and it would be up to a judge to decide whether or not your case was reasonable. As with any legal action, you would need to weigh up the cost of any action against the possible benfits and the possible cost of losing. Given the amounts involved on this occasion, the Small Claims Court would not be an option.

I think its a bit early when a car has only been back to a garage once, and thus repaired only once. If it been back multiple times, especially if its the same fault, or is actually dangerous after a repair. Then you might have a case.

I think its a bit early when a car has only been back to a garage once, and thus repaired only once. If it been back multiple times, especially if its the same fault, or is actually dangerous after a repair. Then you might have a case.

I agree. I sympathise with the OP and I'd be ripping, but I don't think at this stage they would have much of a chance of a refund.

Thanks for your replies, car has now gone back to the garage for the fourth time, had to be towed to the garage today, surley at this stage we are at least entitled to ask for a replacment car, we have logged the complaint with SIMI

Personally I think SIMI are toothless.

You can always ask the garage. See what happens.

Personally I think SIMI are toothless. ...
They only serve the interests of those who pay membership fees - the garages and car dealerships. They do this very effectively IMHO, but they are not consumer-orientated.

We have asked for our back at this stage, has anyone been successful with this?

Re

Car was a Sante Fe 2001 Petrol , kept loosing power while driving no trottle power , the last time this happened the car vwould not restart, the garage has 3 times to fix this but they dont why it is happening and each time they it was a different part gone, drove us mad in ther end, the current status is that it is going to a hearing now involving the SIMI and a consumer rep

Back