Gifting money, Dementia

GoldWings

Hi

Enduring power of attorney for my father is in the process of being registered for with me as joint attorney.

I recently found out that my sister, who has been bringing my father to collect his pension for about 2 years now, is in receipt of €50 (that I know of - could be more, more often) each time.

I asked her about this and she said she felt she deserved the money, to cover her time and wear and tear on her car for calling to him.

Dad has dementia, and has been determined to be non compos mentis recently. He is able to get around, but cannot manage his affairs. I have home help in there adn am arranging more care.

I asked her to not bring him to collect pension tomorrow, and she agreed (all by email, with other attorney to be, on it), but she simply text me today, to say he wanted to go and so she brought him.

When EPOA is through, should I ask for all money transactions to be transparent and accounted for, such as this.

Dad made a will also and put me as executor (assuming all works out on that front, there are issues) does this ongoing 'payment' need to be considered here as part of inheritance?

No one else, that I am aware, gets money from Dad in this way..

Surely the sensible thing to do is to arrange for the pension to be paid directly into bank account. This can be arranged quite easily with Dept. of Social Welfare.

Unbelievable that someone would charge their own father €50 (and as you say that's what you know of) for doing a good deed. Unfortunately some elderly people like the social aspect of going to the post office to collect their money so he may well object to the sensible change.

When EPOA is through, should I ask for all money transactions to be transparent and accounted for, such as this.
It would be preferable if someone other than your sister could bring your dad to collect his pension, if that's not possible, absolutely insist as his attorney that all transactions are transparent and every cent accounted for with no deductions for what your sister thinks she deserves.

It would be preferable if someone other than your sister could bring your dad to collect his pension, if that's not possible, absolutely insist as his attorney that all transactions are transparent and every cent accounted for with no deductions for what your sister thinks she deserves.

Even if sumbody else does the good deed it still costs time & money too do the post office run.
If the sister said NO I’m not bringing him too collect the pension some might think she is being rude.it can be tricky if all parties are not on the same page,but I don’t think it’s un reasonable too put a small price on this good deed she is doing.

but I don’t think it’s un reasonable too put a small price on this good deed she is doing.
50 quid a week?!!!!

It's called elder abuse.

If she had any moral standards or care for her parent, she'd have suggested to transfer the money directly to his bank account, or ask one of the siblings to do it. You don't take 1/5th of a vulnerable person's income every week, and then say you're doing a good deed.

50 quid a week?!!!!

It's called elder abuse.

If she had any moral standards or care for her parent, she'd have suggested to transfer the money directly to his bank account, or ask one of the siblings to do it. You don't take 1/5th of a vulnerable person's income every week, and then say you're doing a good deed.

Who knows what other errands she runs for him like shopping,bill paying etc,trips too doctors or pharmacies etc.
€50 is quite steep but her car doesn’t run by itself either and the time that is needed too complete these things.
Transfer the pension too the bank could help but then it would be a trip too the bank each week too withdraw money that’s needed.

Transfer the pension too the bank could help but then it would be a trip too the bank each week too withdraw money that’s needed
Well if she was considerate, she'd accept her weekly 50 quid by bank transfer, and suddenly he needs a lot less cash...

Once you have the EPOA get the pension paid by bank transfer.

You will be fully responsible and answerable for all finances; everything must be documented and all transactions supported with receipts.

Back