Gift Vouchers: What rights if any do consumers have?

ajapale

What rights if any do recievers (consumers) of gift vouchers have in the Republic of Ireland?

In particular I am concerned that gift vouchers are not honoured after their expiry date and that in some cases where the issuing company goes into liquidation that the standard consumer safeguards do not apply. (eg travel vouchers through a bonded travel agent)

aj

Just a suggestion if you have a gift voucher close to expiry and can't chose anything to buy just buy another gift voucher with it and extend the date that way.

angie said:
Just a suggestion if you have a gift voucher close to expiry and can't chose anything to buy just buy another gift voucher with it and extend the date that way.

That's a beaut. I never thought of it. You could also use it to get rid of vouchers you didn't particularly want and pass them on to someone else.

Murt

Many retailers that have an expiry date in vouchers also specify in the terms & conditions that they can be returned and reissued if unused before that date.

Just a note of caution for anyone who has a gift card (electronic gift token) from the Sony Centres in Dublin. Apparently, these gift cards expire after 12 months, even though there is no mention of this on the cards or the wallets. They kept me waiting in Dundrum for 20 minutes while they tried to process their card through their redemption system. When they came back telling me that it was expired, I kicked up a fair old fuss, and they gave me credit for the token.

To be honest, I think they were glad to get rid of me. I exploded when they refused at the counter to match the DID price as they had agreed by phone. They eventually agreed to match the price, and when they got to the till, they keyed in a price €10 below the DID price that I had mentioned! To add insult to injury, when I got to DID, I noticed that their price (which I had quoted to Sony) didn't include the €10 WEEE charge, whereas the Sony price did, so that was another tenner discount that I shouldn't really have got!

But to get back to the main issue, if you have Sony Centre gift cards, use them within 12 months or expect to have to kick up a fuss.

Back