Gift\inheritance - any potential issues?

Globble

Hi,

I'm asking this question on behalf of my parents who are looking to give a gift (partial inheritance) to my sibling abroad as they are looking to buy a property.

When the time comes, my parents want myself and my 2 siblings to inherit their estate and split evenly 3 ways.
Currently, this split would not exceed the €335,000 CAT threshold so I don't think that will be a consideration.
As one of my siblings lives abroad and they are buying in an expensive city, my parents would like to give them a portion of their due inheritance now to help them out.
This will be in the region of €50,000.
The understanding is that when we are receiving the inheritance, we would subtract that 50k from that siblings pot so to speak.

Inflation is one thing to consider as 50k, won't be worth the same as 50k in a years time. I'm not sure if this is\should be a big consideration.
Everyone is onboard with this but I just want to see if there can be potential pitfalls or legality issues that I'm not considering.

Thanks everyone for your input!

What are the tax implications for your sibling receiving a gift in the jurisdiction where they live?

One possibility is for your parents to loan the 50k to your siblings, to be paid out of eventual inheritance. I guess you could apply an inflationary formula if you all wanted to.

What are the tax implications for your sibling receiving a gift in the jurisdiction where they live?

One possibility is for your parents to loan the 50k to your siblings, to be paid out of eventual inheritance. I guess you could apply an inflationary formula if you all wanted to.
Good question, they live in Australia so I'm not sure, but will look into that.

That's a good idea, thank you.

Back