Getting unusual foreign currency (Romanian Leu)

messyleo

I have tried a few banks - PTSB, BOI & AIB and none of them offr Romanian Leu in their foreign exchange services. I am hoping to use my visa debit card and N26 mastercard whilst I am there, but do want to bring a small amount of cash in case my cards don't work or in case I need cash for bus tickets etc. Has anyone used any of the foreign exchange services for these kind of unusual currencies given the main banks don't seem to offer them? What are the rates like? I have to say, I thought getting Romanian Leu would be straightforward given they are in the EU etc.

If possible, notify your bank before you go, or have a number for their card services. Romania is one of the card fraud hot spots of Europe, so your card might be blocked.
I've been there and never had issues with any cards.
If you've time, you can order from Fexco online: https://www.no1currency.ie

No credit union account unfortunately - thanks for the fexco link will probably go with that. I only need a small amount as a back up really (€50 or so) so the rate doesn't matter too much. Thanks fr the tip about telling the bank in advance in case they block my card! Would not have thought of it.

Do you know if I can order online from no 1 currency and pick it up at a credit union even if I am not a member there?

I don't know about no1currency, I usually order through fexcocurrency.com and that has credit unions specified as collection points and fairly sure you have to be an account holder.

I've noticed that PTSB have recently added a new feature to their App - Travel Note. You can notify them of when you're travelling and which country. It says though that 'you only need to let us know if you are travelling on a cruise ship or outside of the EU'. However, EU countries incl. Romania are available for selection.

When you land in Romania just withdraw from a bank machine, or change the money at the airport, there will surely be a bank for this at the airport. Might be more expensive than withdrawing though.

Confirm with your bank that you will be allowed to withdraw. Though I don’t see why you wouldn’t be.

The Romanian Embassy is on Waterloo Road. They may have an arrangement with a local bank to exchange their currency for visitors. No harm checking this out.
I worked in FX for years in Ballsbridge and we often kept Foreign currencies of the local embassies. Those embassies where there was no demand for their currencies had their currency remitted to our Head Office weekly, rather than kept in the branch.

I got Icelandic currency at Fexco on Westmorland St. recently - similar to this, just a small amount to have in hand. I got the impression they carried pretty much any currency you'd be likely to need without ordering it first.

Back