Getting To Chester for City Break

IrishGunner

Hi

Miss Gunner is looking to go to Chester for a weekend break. Was looking how to get there, one option is boat to Liverpool or Holyhead and then drive. Other option is fly to Liverpool airport and then get the train down. Not to keen on getting the boat has anyone done the flying route ?

Also anyone been to Chester and give some insight into what to do. Have done the google search etc but looking for users insight who have been to Chester

Ta

If you want to fly + train Manchester Airport is a better bet ... though it's a bit further from Chester it has a train station at the airport - Liverpool doesn't

Liverpool Airport isn't too far though from Chester if you wanted to get a taxi all the way (or perhaps there's a bus service)

I went there through Liverpool airport recently. You can get an AirLink bus from Liverpool airport to Lime Street train station and there you can get a train to chester. The train is every hour I think, perhaps every 30 mins, and takes about an hour to Chester. There is a free bus from Chester train station to the town centre.

Chester is a nice town, picturesque and compact. The centre has plenty of shops, pubs and restaurants.

You would want to work out your total travelling time including the two hour wait in the airport and hassles of trains before ruling out the ferry.

The advantage of taking the ferry is you would have no connection issues and the freedom to wander with your own car.

Chester is very lovely and I would recommend it.

Problem is SeaCat does not run anymore and the regular ferry takes over 3 hours to get to Holyhead. Looking at Ryanair and its not the cheapest to fly to Liverpool in November

Still looking at options

stena run a fast craft until 31st December have a look on stenaline.ie.

Take the ferry, A55 dual carriageway most of the way to Chester about 2 hours drive

I lived for several years on the famous Rows only 75 yards from Chester Cross. It is without doubt the most interesting & historic city in the North West. So much to do & see in such a compact area. Remember too that it is only a few short miles to the Welsh Border & Llangollen, World's End, Horseshoe Falls, etc. Personally I would get ferry to Holyhead as a passenger & from there take the train to Chester General station.

Get the Sail & Rail deal with Irish Ferries I think.... works out very cheap and sure the boat and the train is half the fun isn't it!

Yeah the Irish Ferries sail and rail option is good value so will go with that and its the fast sailing

Now looking at things to do places to eat etc. Its going to be a weekend trip arrive Friday back Sunday. Have looked a a few hotels but would like users input taking also into account Miss Gunner wants to shop also :rolleyes:

Back