Getting someones name from car number plate

Yeager

Hi,

Just wondering is it possible to trace a car number plate to someones name without the use of the Gardai?

Are there any agencies that can disclose this information?

Thanks

I very much doubt that, unless someone at the tax/registeration office would tell you, which I doubt they'd legally be able to.

Well, that site 'cartel' or whatever can trace a reg number to a make and model of car.. and they claim not to use government information to do this as far as I know

Well, maybe they don't have the owners name.. where would they get the name?

I just mentioned Cartel because most people are probably surprised that even the Make and Model of car can be obtained legally from the Reg Number.. is there a government department I can ring for this information? Has my insurance company sold my data? Has the government given access to one of its databases to a private company?

And if not, where does it come from?

From www.cartell.ie

Cartell works closely with Government services and other sectors to establish, verify and record the history on a vehicle.

Cartell does not hold any personal data associated with any vehicle.

I'm not aware of 'how' Cartell operates, but it's not that unsual, the AA etc have been providing similar services in the UK for years.

I used to work in motor tax and, to the best of my knowledge, only the Dept of Env and the Gardai have access to the Vehicle Registration Database. It was strictly forbidden to give this information out to members of the public.

Why does the OP want to do this? If we knew the reason, maybe we could suggest alternative ways of dealing with the issue.

I used to work in motor tax and, to the best of my knowledge, only the Dept of Env and the Gardai have access to the Vehicle Registration Database. It was strictly forbidden to give this information out to members of the public.

And the NCT.

i would imagine that cartel and similar sites get the information from whatever database is used for when the vehicle is registered and nothing else. the colour and reg of the car are in the public domain already so giving these details out does not infringe on anyone's personal details.

if the OP wants the details because they saw someone in the car e.g. driving dangerously, they could go to their local garda station who will trace the registered owner and a local guard will have a word.

There used to be a system where a Solicitor could write to the Motor Tax Office and receive registration details for a small fee. I am not sure if that has changed since the Data Protection Act was introdduced

The reason I'm looking for the information in the first place is that people stayed in my families B&B last weekend and took off without paying. The owner of the jeep that I have the number plate of was there boss but he did not stay just dropped them off. Gardai were contacted about the situation and have siad that because the ownwer of the jeep himself was not staying they could not disclose his name.

Being a B&B and pretty informal no names were taken etc.

We are thinking if we could get the name follow up with the boss then the issue would more than likely be sorted.

Its not alot of money its just to catch theses cheats out - i'm sure its not the first time it has happened or will happen.

Thats a hard situation, but you're not gonna get anyone to share this information with you. Terrible, but thats the way it is. Perhaps your family should change their procedure and take a CC/Laser for collateral in case this happens again.

Yeah they are going to change the booking process alright. Its the first time in almost 30 years it has happened I think. They would often ask for a CC number for bookings over the phone during high season but they don't have facilities to process CC payment but its usually enough to scare people and not do no shows.

I have one more plan up my slieve - I'm determined not to let this one go.

The reason I'm looking for the information in the first place is that people stayed in my families B&B last weekend and took off without paying. The owner of the jeep that I have the number plate of was there boss but he did not stay just dropped them off. Gardai were contacted about the situation and have siad that because the ownwer of the jeep himself was not staying they could not disclose his name.

Being a B&B and pretty informal no names were taken etc.

We are thinking if we could get the name follow up with the boss then the issue would more than likely be sorted.

Its not alot of money its just to catch theses cheats out - i'm sure its not the first time it has happened or will happen.

I assume the Gardai are going to charge them, so you'll find out their identities when they appear in court.

I assume the Gardai are going to charge them, so you'll find out their identities when they appear in court.

Charge who though?
The problem is that the OP has no names for the culprits hence the post in the first place.

Can you ask the gardai to contact the owner of the jeep in order to get the details of the guests who left without paying?

Back