Getting silent calls - what to do?

Can you get Caller ID from your phone provider. I think you have to pay for this service

Hi AlastairSC,

If you are getting a series of calls it amounts to harrassment. Report it to the Guards, they will ask for permission to put a trace on your line to see where the calls are originating.

D

I'm getting silent calls lately on my landline. Is there any way to find out who's doing it?

I was getting prank calls from a blocked number a few years back and eircom's malicious calls bureau told me my options were either to change my number or notify the Gardai. I opted for the latter, made a statement and agreed to have a trace placed on my line. The Gardai gave me a sheet to log the date and time of the calls. After a few weeks they took the log, traced the caller and put a stop to it. As it happened it was just some someone with a similar number to mine dialling numbers in sequence but I was very relieved to get the matter sorted.

I know these calls can be very upsetting so I would advise you to deal with them straight away and good luck

+1 with the advice above.

An other thing you can try is to answer the phone but remain silent and see if caller says anything.

Answer the phone and if no-one is there, just leave the handset on the counter and let their bill run up.

I wouldn't even say hello, just pick up the handset and see if they say anything.

I got calls like this a number of years ago - have to admit that I did a Banshee. Whan I pick ed up the phone and nobody proffered the usual greetings, I just screamed into the phone. The silent calls disappeared after a few of my best screamies!

Thanks, everyone for that. Update:
number "unknown". When I just listen without saying anything, call is ended shortly. The real nuisance is getting up to answer repeatedly!

Don't think I'll try the whistle or shouting - it just isn't me! Do I report it to Perlico (we're with them) or eircom (line owner) before it goes to the police?

Thanks

ASC

Back