Getting silent calls - what to do?

AlastairSC

I'm getting silent calls lately on my landline. Is there any way to find out who's doing it?

Can you get Caller ID from your phone provider. I think you have to pay for this service

Hi AlastairSC,

If you are getting a series of calls it amounts to harrassment. Report it to the Guards, they will ask for permission to put a trace on your line to see where the calls are originating.

D

I'm getting silent calls lately on my landline. Is there any way to find out who's doing it?

I was getting prank calls from a blocked number a few years back and eircom's malicious calls bureau told me my options were either to change my number or notify the Gardai. I opted for the latter, made a statement and agreed to have a trace placed on my line. The Gardai gave me a sheet to log the date and time of the calls. After a few weeks they took the log, traced the caller and put a stop to it. As it happened it was just some someone with a similar number to mine dialling numbers in sequence but I was very relieved to get the matter sorted.

I know these calls can be very upsetting so I would advise you to deal with them straight away and good luck

+1 with the advice above.

An other thing you can try is to answer the phone but remain silent and see if caller says anything.

Answer the phone and if no-one is there, just leave the handset on the counter and let their bill run up.

Answer the phone and if no-one is there, just leave the handset on the counter and let their bill run up.

+ 1 only say hello once and if no response just leave the phone down and they will get bored over time.

I wouldn't even say hello, just pick up the handset and see if they say anything.

I got calls like this a number of years ago - have to admit that I did a Banshee. Whan I pick ed up the phone and nobody proffered the usual greetings, I just screamed into the phone. The silent calls disappeared after a few of my best screamies!

Thanks, everyone for that. Update:
number "unknown". When I just listen without saying anything, call is ended shortly. The real nuisance is getting up to answer repeatedly!

Don't think I'll try the whistle or shouting - it just isn't me! Do I report it to Perlico (we're with them) or eircom (line owner) before it goes to the police?

Thanks

ASC