Getting shower doors clean

chippengael

Frequent Poster
Hard water leaves deposits of mostly calcium carbonate, which is chalk. This can be removed chemically using an acid such as citiic acid (found in lemon juice), acetic acid (found in vinegar) etc. According to Wikipedia, Cilit Bang contains a mixture of acids (sulfamic and phosphoric) and having spent yesterday evening cleaning the shower door, I can tall you that it works when a bit of elbow grease is applied.

Baking soda (NaHCO3) on the other hand forms an alkaline solution in water which would be not react with clacuim carbonate. The fact that is seems to work at all is probably due to scouring action, and so is less efficient. I would not use scouring agents on clear glass as it will make them opaque.

newseeker1

Frequent Poster
Bread soda and baking soda wee suggested by 2 posters
Are they the same thing or different things?
Thanks

so-crates

Frequent Poster
Same thing.
Bread soda = Baking soda = Bicarbonate of soda = Sodium Bicarbonate = NaHCO3

Baking powder is something different
Sodium Carbonate (Washing soda) is something different

Gordanus

Frequent Poster
I have also found that dryer sheets work well. (The sheets you put in the dryer to eliminate static cling) I've no idea at all why it works, but it does.

Subtitle

Frequent Poster
Spray with Flash with added bleach, the orange one. Scrub with a micro fibre cloth, wipe dry. Then spray again with WD40 and wipe off. It creates a protective layer and works great for me. If your shower glass is clear like mine you are going to get a slight cloudy effect from the WD40 but it's better than limey streaks that wont clean off ;)