Getting screwed by an architect

MidlandsBase

About two months ago I dropped around some preliminary drawings to an architect for an extension to our house. The extension is very conventional with no complications involved. I also handed over photocopies of our house from our builders which contained lengths, etc of all rooms and cross sections of the house.

The quote for sketch drawings and detailed drawings was €847 (inc Vat). Last week we got the sketch drawings which were basically our drawing merged with the builders drawings. Alright I thought - it's only a sketch. The detailed drawing will involved consultations on lighting, electrics, provision of two velux windows (requested but not included in the sketch drawings), etc and the detailed drawing will be really detailed. Having had a chat with the guy in the architects office as to whether I will just to getting a re-drawn sketch (after confirming lengths, after some minor amendments) he confirmed that this would be the case. I told him not to go any further with the drawings and to get the principal architect to contact me.

Am I right in the approach. €847 is a lot to charge for something for which no measurements had to be taken, the sketch drawings were already done by me, and there was one site visit - done at the same time as the sketch drawings were being dropped in!

Are you dealing with a registered architect (RIAI) or someone styling themselves as such? Sounds a little expensive for what you actually got. This depends on what scope of service you had agreed with your "architect" and the fee level commensurate with that. From your first meeting your architect should have outlined the type of service/ level of professional service he was going to provide and the fee for same. You couldn't expect working drawings for the small fee you mention, but a sketch proposal, including any further revisions/ additions you subsequently require would seem reasonable. You should check out the RIAI's website at www.riai.ie, they give advice on how to employ an architect and what to expect.

Hi Carpenter,
The Architect is not a member of RIAI (there is none local). You say that it sounds a little expensive for what we got but then later on you say that we couldn't expect working drawings for the small fee I mentioned.

My beef would be that the Architect should really have stated that we had the work done already and that he wouldn't be adding much more value to what we come up with.

It's very hard for me to comment without knowing/ seeing exactly what you got for your money, it's very subjective. But nonetheless you couldn't expect any sort of detailed drawings for €800 or so. Most architects would expect to charge a fee of at least €3000 plus vat and outlay for preparing anything but the most basic planning application. I'm not an architect by the way but I do work in the building industry and know some architects in private practice. I think good architects like any other profession are worth their fee if you are happy that your expectations of their service are met.

I suppose what gets me is that I could have traced out my drawings which I gave him and would have ended up with what he gave us. It would be the equivalent of someone cutting and pasting your work and then charging you for it.

I would expect an architect to at least give some advice in relation to an extension. He also said he would look at our extension and try and see if any improvements could be made to it but he basically just copied it. My point is there was absolutely no value whatsoever added to the drawings which we dropped in.

Anyway, I am hoping to discuss the issue with the principal architect this afternoon so hopefully we can sort something out. Basically, the sketch drawings would allow me to get a quote as it stands from a building and if the detailed drawings will be basically no different I fail to see how the charge could be justified. I would be happy to pay for the sketch drawings as they stand but not be charged again for what is basically a re-print.

Ok, I think your best course of action is to have a frank converstion with your architect, tell him exactly how you feel, your expectations were not met, you don't see the value of what he has done to date (i.e. what you have already done) and see what he has to say. Keep us posted!

Back