Getting Rid of Lodger..Am I reasonable?

Just to clarify...things that have been used include tea, bread, butter, chocolate, biscuits, alcohol, milk, fruit, washing powder, toiletries ....

Its pretty obvious when a room hasn't been cleaned by the smell...plus, I've seen the room...its gross...

I KNOW the bathroom hasn't been cleaned because I end up having to clean it (its the guest bathroom too)....

BOXtheFOX : Have no idea what you are talking about....

i have had a similar experience and it was an absolute nightmare. i was completely stressed the whole time. My lodger was only there for 2 months and i had enough at that point. The person had no respect for me, my house or any of the contents. She left about 2 months ago and the smell is still in the bedroom. i can't get rid of it and i have tried everything. It would appear to be coming from the mattress which i am now going to have to get rid off. I spent five hours in total cleaning both the bedroom and the bathroom it was so bad. It hadn't been touched for the time she was there so i can only imagine what it would have been like if she had been there any longer. When i addressed her about it she got really aggressive with me. That was the icing on the cake so i sent her packing. i think you should definitely get rid of your lodger and no you are not being unreasonable

In fairness, the minimum 4 week notice would have them out on the street for Christmas. Instead, give 8 weeks and that way you can do it guilt free. I've been a tenant in the past where the landlord started taking my stuff - what should I have done about that? Where was my comeback?

As for the post that said you can do what you like as its your home - well, it may be your house, but it is home to both of ye. And you also can't say on the one hand that "i'm only renting them a room", and on the other hand think "but they're not cleaning THEIR toilet". People who can afford it don't rent out rooms because it is hassle - there's always some bit of give and take on food and cleaning, that's just the way it is.

For sure, ask them to move out, but do it in a reasonable way, as you've tried to work things out, it hasn't happened, and it's the right think to do - just don't turn it into a way of getting your own back. There's no need to drop to that level.

FYI outspann..did you read my posts? I'm not planning on dropping to any level..He'll get eight weeks notice and that will have him out in mid Feb...I have never been anything but polite when discussing issues but it doesn't seem to matter..I don't agree about 'give and take' with food...From his perspective its take....and as far as I'm concerned, when its been made clear, then its not right...and trust is lost....The things I mentioned are only the things I've noticed and I wasn't exactly monitoring things that closely to begin with...
It would take an awful lot for me to get a lodger in again..Nothing pays for the stress and irritation of it.....

Lauren,

Of course I read your posts. That's why I agreed with you to stick with the 8 weeks that you had given him. That seems a fair and reasonable length of time to give someone, and also allow you to feel completely guilt free in giving it.

As to renting out a room being too much hassle, I wholeheartedly agree. I know from my own experience that even a perfect tenant removes the sense of complete privacy that buying your own home should give you. And from the other side, even when living with a great landlord, you are still in their home sitting on their couch watching their tv, etc, and that's not the greatest feeling either...

As for the give and take with food, I'm not suggesting he should be able to eat your last slice of pizza, but I do think that sometimes on a rainy night when you find that you're out of milk/butter/whatever and it's a long walk to the shop, it can be handy if you're able to borrow (and replace!) some food belonging to the person that you are sharing with - and that applies regardless of whether you are the landlord or just renting.

In fairness, the minimum 4 week notice would have them out on the street for Christmas. Instead, give 8 weeks and that way you can do it guilt free.QUOTE]

This is what the OP had submitted on her opening post??

- there's always some bit of give and take on food and cleaning, that's just the way it is.

From what Lauren is saying i think its more take than give. There should be a certain amount of allowance here i agree providing tenant replaces everything taken.

For sure, ask them to move out, but do it in a reasonable way, as you've tried to work things out, it hasn't happened, and it's the right think to do - just don't turn it into a way of getting your own back. There's no need to drop to that level.

OP has been more than fair giving 8 weeks which is double the legal requirement i think.

FYI outspann..did you read my posts? I'm not planning on dropping to any level..He'll get eight weeks notice and that will have him out in mid Feb...I have never been anything but polite when discussing issues but it doesn't seem to matter..I don't agree about 'give and take' with food...From his perspective its take....and as far as I'm concerned, when its been made clear, then its not right...and trust is lost....The things I mentioned are only the things I've noticed and I wasn't exactly monitoring things that closely to begin with...
It would take an awful lot for me to get a lodger in again..Nothing pays for the stress and irritation of it.....

Agreed

Lauren,

Of course I read your posts. That's why I agreed with you to stick with the 8 weeks that you had given him. That seems a fair and reasonable length of time to give someone, and also allow you to feel completely guilt free in giving it.

You didnt agree, you told her to give 8 weeks, read back over your post.

Lauren, If everything that your saying is correct, then you are doing the right thing. I had to put tenants out recently, and i was in a complete mess. It upset me for days after. Sort it now and look forward to a non-smelly happy house again. Good luck with it.

SS

Last edited:
But the OP is giving eight weeks, as she said she would in her first post. Then somebody else advised her to give 4. My advice was to stick with the 8, and have no regrets about doing it.

I also said that having a tenant stay with an owner is (in my experience) always uncomfortable for both parties.

Can you show me where the OP and I disagreed over the 8 weeks?

8 weeks notice.

I think you are being unreasonable to yourself. This is your house and home we are talking about. You are going to be miserable over Christmas having to put up with him. He's abusing the trust you place in him to be a responsible tenant when he moved in. The relationship is over and you are only prolonging your own misery by allowing him to stay on notice for such a long period.

Give him one weeks notice. Stretch it to two at a push, but that is as far as I would go. He'll have found something else by Christmas and anyway it's not your problem.

Murt

shootingstar,

- OP said that she had given 8 weeks notice.
- Pinkybear (post #5) stated that they would only give 4 weeks.
- I replied "In fairness, 4 weeks notice would have them out on the street before Christmas. Instead, give 8 weeks and that way you can do it guilt free".

I've no problem with you disagreeing with me over whether giving 8 weeks is right or wrong. But I'd appreciate if we didn't misquote each other or quote out of context.

Back