Getting Rid of Lodger..Am I reasonable?

Lauren

Have had a lodger in now for three months. Have found it much more stressful than anticipated and have decided to give him notice to go in the New Year (giving 8 weeks). Reasons as follows:

The smell of foot odour coming from his room is overpowering...Having mentioned it subtly and recently more overtly, it hasn't changed and it makes me heave every time I pass the room! Its starting to permeate into the rest of my lovely apartment.

He regularly uses food and cleaning items that I have purchased despite me clarifying on a few occasions that he is not in 'digs', he is renting a room only!

He has left the apartment unlocked on a few occasions, have spoken to him about this but it seems to go in one ear and out the other.

Hasn't cleaned the room in three months (to my knowledge) or the bathroom that he uses that is also the guest bathroom.

So am I being reasonable in getting rid?

Very nice of you to give him 8 weeks - I would have given the minimum (as in the contract???)

You certainly will be crossed off hix Xmas card / present list - thats guaranteed!

You are doing the right thing, give notice straight away. Its your home and if you are not happy living there its time to sort it out.

Thanks guys..I feel like a b**ch but its my place after all...
I'm worried that the bed he sleeps in will be stinking and I'll have to get rid of the mattress! Do you think its reasonable to take the cost out of his deposit?

With regards to the tennent - you are doing the right thing - I have had loads of experience with getting rid of tennents - I would give 4 weeks personaly.

Another thing for the sake of an arguement, if he/she is up to date with bills and stuff return the deposit as soon - you want rid so don't prolong your agony any longer.....

Don't feel bad, its your home it hasn't worked out c'est la vie! I don't know if lack of personal cleaning standards would work to keep some of his deposit, it might just be considered acceptable wear and tear in terms of lease etc. A few squirts of fabreeze, open windows and a good clean should help :)

The bed thing might not be necessary so be careful of that - unless there is tangible damage to it that makes it unusable.

I was a tenant who was told that a deduction was being taken from my deposit to take account of 'wear on the stair carpet' during three months I was resident in a house. I acquainted myself with my rights and made sure that I got the full amount back.

You don't have to put up with someone who doesn't clean and who isn't taking care of your place - sounds like you've given them every opportunity - but things could take another turn for the worse if he demands the money and gets himself some representation. Be quite careful of that.

A friend of mine rented rooms and always had a friendly but quite clear chat when someone arrived to lay down some ground rules. Even with that, there's no accounting for folk and sometimes it still didn't work.

I was a tenant who was told that a deduction was being taken from my deposit to take account of 'wear on the stair carpet' during three months I was resident in a house

he he he Paulone you must go through shoes like no ones business! :)

He sounds like an absolute pig, and you should get rid of him in the minimum legal time possible. There is no need to give him 8 weeks.

It sounds like he has absolutely no respect for you, or your belongings or property. How dare he touch your food etc, when you have repeatedly asked him not to? I cant imagine the state of the bathroom if he hasn't cleaned it in 3 months. And the fact that he leaves the door unlocked takes the biscuit - is this when he is inside the apartment, or does he walk out and leave it unlocked? That is reason itself to get rid of him immediately.

Put a spring on the front door and lock that can't be out on a latch.

Get rid of them. Why put up with a slob.

Yes, he's left the apt unlocked when he left for a weekend...so it was like that for a few days....Thanks everyone..I feel like less of a bit*ch now...I'm just not enjoying the experience at all so its time to vote him off the island lol

Is it such a problem that someone you are renting a room to makes himself a cup of tea or a sandwich every now and then......

Is it such a problem that someone you are renting a room to makes himself a cup of tea or a sandwich every now and then......

If you're not trolling can you refer everyone to the post that previously mentions the tenant only making themselves a cup of tea or sandwich every now and then?

It is a problem when they aren't using items that they have purchased themselves.

By all means give the tenant notice if you are unhappy with him but i have to say am suprised at the strenght of some of the replys, given we don't actually know the other person. I acknowledge leaving the place unlocked is worrying and wrong but in relation to the other accusations i feel they are situations where one persons view can be very different to the another. I'm not saying this is the case but i have come across friends/acquaintances who have lived with landlords and have found them unreasonable in their expectations. They have just bought a new flat and are a bit obsessive about everything looking like a show flat. The tenant is not supposed to be seen or heard. Cups, plates, glasses have to be stacked in a particular way etc. You didn't say what your tenant has taken food wise- drop of milk? - if he has taken some of your cleaning products maybe he has cleaned his room and/or bathroom. Isn't it unfair that you make the accusation that he hasn't cleaned (to your knowledge) in three months - are you always there? You didn't say the bathroom was actually in a state just that you hadn't seen it cleaned.

yes you are

??

bit on the smart side are`nt we? I would have a problem with my flat mate was taking my food out of my cupboard and helping themselves. I dont think the OP has stated anything about him using her tea bag?! I think what she was trying to say is the lodger is using her things instead of him using his own stuff. Which im, inclined to agree with OP. I dont think i would like anyone to be using my stuff in my home. I certainly wouldnt do that to anyone...

Maybe for future references OP should consider using a kitty for mutual items such as cleaning products, toilet rolls, milk etc...each person throws in a tenner a week say...

Boot him out. smelly feet = barf!!

Back