Getting insurance after not driving since 2016

Philip S

Hi All,

I have a full license since 2013 but due to the my income and price of insurance and mainly commuting by bus I was not driven since May 2016. I am looking at the prospect of driving again in the new year. I spoke to Axa this morning to be told that im effectively a new driver again and the only way to get insurance is to go on someone else's insurance for a year first. Does anyone know any company that may allow me to go on my own name i know premium is likely to be higher

I see 2 options.

1. Approach several insurers and make general enquiries on the question.

2. If no joy, approach an insurance broker to place your risk as they can put the arm on insurance underwriters more easily than you or I.

I specify "general" at 1 above as distinct from applying for a quote to see what happens. If you approach insurer A and they refuse cover on the licence point that might then become something that then has to be declared, in turn, when you approach insurer B.

I know that there are relatively new laws about what insurers and those seeking insurance may or may not do or expect. However, you need to be careful about misrepresentation / non-disclosure if an insurer has refused your application for cover.

You will be starting off again with no no- claims bonus.

You should be able to get quotes from insurance companies or brokers like 123.ie or quotedevil.ie.

Your premium will be high, but in my opinion the quicker you start building up a no claims bonus the better.

and the only way to get insurance is to go on someone else's insurance for a year first.
If someone else declares themselves the main driver of your car and puts you down as a "named driver" on a car registered to you, this is known as "fronting" and is very much frowned upon.

If someone else declares themselves the main driver of your car and puts you down as a "named driver" on a car registered to you, this is known as "fronting" and is very much frowned upon.

hi Mathepac the thinking here is more I go on my dads insurance as a named driver on his car rather then putting someone else as the main driver on my car.

hi Mathepac the thinking here is more I go on my dads insurance as a named driver on his car rather then putting someone else as the main driver on my car.
That would be legit/ok.
As mentioned above, the fronting issue arises when the main name on the policy is not the main driver of the relevant vehicle but the named driver is.

Back